turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Colors that turkeys see.

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 04, 2015, 11:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

I got all my camo out to wash for April. I found an all camo hat. Fits great! Crisis averted.

Camoed out from head to toe!

Marc

Humans basically have two types of vision, color and night...  In the retina, we have 4 different types of photoreceptors (3 types of cones, and rods)...  Rods are generally responsible for night vision, but are not sensitive to color.  We also have 3 different types of cones (red, blue, and green) which are sensitive to color and responsible for our color vision...  We have more rods than cones, and they are more sensitive to light in general, but do not discern color.

Turkeys have 7 types of photoreceptors, including rods, and 6 different types of cones, two of which are referred to as double cones.  It is believed that one of these types of cones is capable of seeing UVA light (ultraviolet).

In other words, turkeys see colors that we do not, and even see wavelengths of light that are off the color spectrum...  Without being able to look through their eyes, who knows what they see?

As others have pointed out, avoid washing clothes in detergents with UV or color brighteners...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.