Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Is this good, or am I blinded by my own preferences?

Started by busta biggun, March 02, 2015, 01:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Honcho

Excellent work...moving really.  As far as the music copyrights you could look into getting music that is made for this purpose ie commercial videos. I am in marketing and involved in video production from time to time....we use a music bed on our product videos that is from CD's and probably online now that if you purchase the CD or tracks ,inexpensive, you don't have to worry about the copyrights.  It comes in all types, country , contemporary, jazz etc.  If you need more info pm me.

Gobble!

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 02, 2015, 03:03:18 PM
I think it is very nicely done.  Thinking about how it might be made better, I would say that perhaps a narrated message during that sequence, trying to express in words what the video and music portrays, might add to it.  It is very good right now,...but with the right message included, it could be even better.

X2

Marc

Great video-journal...  I would love to create something similar for my own memories, and to share with my friends and family.

As far as a hunting video to put on the market, most turkey hunters want to see a hunt play out to some degree (of course with editing)... 

Some of you boys have a lot of experience under your belt, and some of you put more experience under your belt in a season, than many of will in a life-time...  I would love to see a hunting video that gave a bit of background to the hunt...  Weather conditions; what part of the breeding season are the birds in; why did you do what you did; what did work, and what did not; discuss the calling, why did you or did you not use (or not use) the decoys that you did, and why you called or did not call at certain points throughout the hunt... 

At this point I see hunting videos as creating a way to live vicariously through someone else's experiences...  And to see the situations and environments of other hunters in other areas...  I would love to see some videos that were a bit more informative, and talk some about the failures as well as the successes; in the grand scheme of things, I am at the beginning stages of turkey hunting, but I have yet to learn anything from most of the videos or shows I have watched in the last few years...  I'd love to see a turkey hunt with really tough birds, showing say 3 days of failures, and the one day of success...

And, as far as the hunting sequences, I enjoy hearing the sounds of the forest and the birds as opposed to music...  Duck hunting videos are notorious for playing loud rock music with scene after seen of just shooting ducks.  This has no appeal to me at all...

In the duck hunting videos, I would love to see some emphasis put on some of the ethics of hunting, instead of the strong emphasis that is currently put on the killing at any cost...  Certainly there needs to be the money shot of that kill, but it sure would be refreshing to see an emphasis put on some of the ethics, morals, and skills that make hunting what it is for those of us who truly appreciate the outdoors.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

busta biggun

Thanks so much for all of the kind comments. Marc, regarding the music, I am only using the music on the opening and closing sequences. The hunts themselves are all "natural" with no music. You can hear drumming, birds tweeting, all of that. Mike Honcho I got my music from a site that I believe was a stock music site, but I can't remember if I had to pay extra if I wanted to sell them. I will check. I may be pinging you about your source! Thanks.

Blong

Nice footage, could do without the decoys and blinds. All the videos are the same in that aspect.

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

Bigspurs68

Made me remember vividly why I love to hunt those birds. Nice!
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

Hooksfan

Looks great and looks like some awesome footage.

Marc

Quote from: busta biggun on March 03, 2015, 10:44:19 AM
Thanks so much for all of the kind comments. Marc, regarding the music, I am only using the music on the opening and closing sequences. The hunts themselves are all "natural" with no music. You can hear drumming, birds tweeting, all of that. Mike Honcho I got my music from a site that I believe was a stock music site, but I can't remember if I had to pay extra if I wanted to sell them. I will check. I may be pinging you about your source! Thanks.

Reading my own post, I forgot to add that if this is a trailer for a video, I would most certainly watch that video.  Great videography, and some great scenes there, and obviously most trailers include music.

My only point was that the current shows and videos are severely lacking in certain areas.  Educational value (as far as learning how to hunt turkeys), and in many cases severely lacking in ethics...  I have no doubt that any video you produced would NOT have such issues...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

busta biggun

Thanks Marc. And thanks to all others for your feedback. Regarding decoys and blinds, I did not want to get into a debate on these issues, because even though I can hunt them any way I need to, having decoys makes it easier to film, and provides better footage. That is what is important to me. I have gotten a ton of footage with clear closeups and drumming that I never would have without them. My goal isn't to impress other hunters with the difficulty of the hunt, my goal is to have a good clean hunt and get great footage. Thanks again for the opinions. Always looking to make things better.