Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What time of day do you kill most of your birds?

Started by Marc, February 28, 2015, 01:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

Seems like 0800 -1100. I'm always hopeful for that 0630, and sometimes it happens but not as much as I'd like. My states stop at 1200 1st half of season. 2nd half all day. I'll admit, I haven't been man enough to hunt all day from 0530 to 0-dark-thirty in the 2nd half of the seasons! I have had to walk away from a few at the high noon bell. That always stinks!

Happy

Between flydown and quitting time. Have had decent success off the roost but I will hunt as long as I can if I am not successful and is legal.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Cutt

Between 10:00 and noon, Can't tell how many hot birds I had to leave at noon quitting time here in PA over the years? I strictly hunt Public Areas and it seems like most hunters have gone home by 10:00?

And for the reason after 10:00 once hunters thin out, is when I'll cover more ground, which is why I believe I've had good results then? Otherwise I wouldn't have covered as much area as not wanting to bump other hunters setups.

OldSchool

Quote from: Cutt on March 01, 2016, 08:48:55 PM
Between 10:00 and noon, Can't tell how many hot birds I had to leave at noon quitting time here in PA over the years? I strictly hunt Public Areas and it seems like most hunters have gone home by 10:00?

And for the reason after 10:00 once hunters thin out, is when I'll cover more ground, which is why I believe I've had good results then? Otherwise I wouldn't have covered as much area as not wanting to bump other hunters setups.

Yep, Walking away from a gobbling bird stinks to say the least, I've had to do it many times myself. I give you credit for thinking about the other guys out there too, I wish there were more people around here that did.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Cutt

Quote from: OldSchool on March 02, 2016, 07:37:48 AM
Yep, Walking away from a gobbling bird stinks to say the least, I've had to do it many times myself. I give you credit for thinking about the other guys out there too, I wish there were more people around here that did.

Bob

Me too, have had many hunts boogered by others, so I know what it's like, and avoid doing it to others.

Lefty

Most of mine have come between 8am-10am.  Killed a few right off the roost but those birds later in the morning seem to work much better.

Farmboy27

For years I thought if I didn't have one dead an hour after first light then the day was pretty much over. In more recent years I've gone 360 degrees. Now days I get up early for the roost gobbling and the classic turkey hunting ritual but I hunt from 10:00-noon to kill longbeards!  I love lonely midmorning birds!

MK M GOBL

More birds for me are mid-late morning, kill them off the roost now and again but if that doesn't work out seems to be a few hours after flydown.

MK M GOBL

WyoHunter

Most of mine have been between 9:00 am  and noon.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!