OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting a field.

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 19, 2015, 01:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

:OGani: I may this year, my 8 year old daughter wants to go this year. New blind and decoys to accomodate her needs. We will hunt in a blind on a field or an opening in the woods. I have a good looking spot on a power line also, that is the piece we will hunt those nasty 4 year olds if they made it through the winter.

Bigfoot

I have a strategy that works every year for me .  At the crack of dawn I'm chasing any gobbler that sounds off. I 'll stay after them until 9 or 10. Then I go to another spot that has thick pines on both sides with a grassy road running down the middle. In Pa we can only hunt til 12.  I spend the last hour or two of the morning just sitting near this road, calling off and on.  I do this every day.  I hunt active gobblers til about 10 then I go and sit on this grassy road til noon.  It may take most of the season but I kill one every year in that exact spot.  Also, it gives me a chance to rest from all the chasing early in the morning.

Ihuntoldschool

I agree with silvestris and Uncle Tom on those decoys, to me that is cheating.  Everyone has the right to hunt by their own rules though.

turkey harvester

Myself I hate hunting those evil field turkeys. I will if needed but prefer the big woods myself.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

darron

I hunt in Ohio where my buddy and I have a couple thousand acres of land to hunt between 2-3 counties. The properties are anywhere from all woods to fields mixed with woods.

By far our most successful hunt are field birds. In fact, we have left birds in the big timber to birds we have patterned in the fields. If we have a bird hitting a field every day we are there the first day.

By the second week the field birds are usually non existent due to their visibility from others. We then switch to those birds using the big timber.

On my own personal farm I have several small 1/4-1/2 acre food plots that we kill birds on every year.