OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Shortening picatinny rail - think I can go down to 2 screws?

Started by Timmer, February 18, 2015, 03:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmer

Hi there,

I purchased a Fastfire 3 only to learn that the mounting bolt crosses through the mounting hardware and that the slots on my existing Weaver rail aren't big enough to accommodate the bolt.  I have a Benelli Supernova and from my research there doesn't appear to be another Weaver option for this setup. 

In turn I purchased an Evolution Gun Works aluminum picatinny style rail.  The new rail is much taller and longer than my existing Weaver.  I'm going to have to live with the height (unless someone here has a better solution), but I'm going to cut down the length of the rail.  It's 6 inches long and the FF3 is only going to use 2" of it, so that's an awful lot of extra length.  My gun has two sets of screw holes (4 screws total) over the first 4".  At a minimum I could shorten the rail by lopping off 2".  I got to wondering, however, whether I could cut it shorter and go down to just one set of screws for mounting the rail to my gun?  The holes are 5/8" apart.  Would that be strong enough to hold the rail / FF3 in place?  Obviously, the FF3 unit itself is super small and lightweight, but I'm not sure to what degree shooting the gun would impact things.  Perhaps it's not even strength but vibration and loosening I'd need to worry about? 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

SKFOOTER

Before you go to that trouble, look at the Burris Picatinny Protector mount for your FastFire 3.  It mounted in my cantilever barrel slots with no problem and the height is no issue.   

Timmer

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 18, 2015, 04:20:26 PM
Before you go to that trouble, look at the Burris Picatinny Protector mount for your FastFire 3.  It mounted in my cantilever barrel slots with no problem and the height is no issue.

Thanks for the thought.  I do have the protector mount but it's got the same picatinny style mount with the bolt going through the clamp as the one that most commonly comes with the unit (I have both).  I also do not have cantilever slots on my gun.  The only mounting features that came on the gun were the four pre-tapped holes.
Timmer

SKFOOTER

The slots on your Weaver rail should be the same width as the ones on my cantilever.  If not you can always grind out one of the slots a little wider to accept the bolt.

Timmer

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 18, 2015, 10:19:21 PM
The slots on your Weaver rail should be the same width as the ones on my cantilever.  If not you can always grind out one of the slots a little wider to accept the bolt.

I don't think I trust my skills with my hand grinder enough for a clean job.  I've got the new picatinny rail now, so I'm more less trying to determine how much of it I can cut off.
Timmer

Snoodsniper

I think if you cut it down to use two screws it would be OK. The 336 base only uses two. My weaver rail has six screws holding it on....more is better.

Timmer

I compromised a bit and cut it beyond the 3rd screw.  I figured it might handle abuse and vibration a bit better. 

It's cut, ground, and sanded...the paint is drying and can't wait to get it mounted!
Timmer

hybridtom

Let us know how it turns out! I would like to see pics. 

Timmer

Here is a pic.  I guess I'm fairly satisfied.  The height doesn't seem as significant when the length is drastically reduced.   I've got it down to 3 3/8" long.   Also, I'm actually glad I left a little room for adjusting forward and back because I found I like it a bit further forward than I would have guessed. 

Timmer

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Snoodsniper

Looks good. If you need to raise your comb a little try a Godagrip pad. I put one on my gun a couple months ago and it's awesome.

Timmer

Quote from: Snoodsniper on March 07, 2015, 08:17:30 PM
Looks good. If you need to raise your comb a little try a Godagrip pad. I put one on my gun a couple months ago and it's awesome.

Thanks.  I haven't shot it yet but I am wondering if I may end up wanting a higher comb.   I also saw a recommendation for the beartooth comb raising kit. 
Timmer

CrustyRusty

Beretta makes a gel comb pad that is removable/reusable and won't damage or mar your stock. Lots of guys at my trap club use them and they are quite happy with them. Good luck

Sako358

Hi Timmer,
I epoxied my Picatinny bases to my SBE & Super Nova with J B Weld. I scraped the paint off the gun, down to metal first.
Trijacon makes a real thin rail ti fit the Super Nova.
Run & Gun: Benelli SBE 2, Trijicon RMR, IC .710, Hevi 13 #5 Zero 30 yds
Blind Gun:  Benelli SBE 2, Leupold 1.5x5 Circle Dot, Trulock .665, Federal HW #5 Zero 40 yds
Field Gun: Benelli Super Nova, Leupold 6x42, Harris Bipod, IC .670, Federal HW #5 Zero 50 yds