OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

If you could go on...

Started by Blong, February 05, 2015, 01:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbes

Florida (Osceola)
Texas (Rios)
New York

I want the full experience of swamps and palmetos in FL and cactus and mesquite in TX.  Never been in the northeast so NY sounds good.

silvestris

Quote from: GSLAM95 on February 05, 2015, 07:05:08 PM
Quote from: silvestris on February 05, 2015, 02:22:29 PM
Quote from: GSLAM95 on February 05, 2015, 01:40:25 PM
I saved for many years to hunt the Gould's and Ocellated and since I have already done those hunts along with many others across the United States I would have to say my bucket list hunt would be Merriams in New Zealand and possibly hunt Rio's in Hawaii some day as well.

I was always under the impression that the turkeys in New Zealand were feral barnyard turkeys.  Perhaps, som Rios have been transplanted there over the years.

My bad on the typing silvestris and I corrected the post, meant to say Merriams in New Zealand.  As for "ferel" turkeys go I couldn't say but I have spoke with some guys that went and after they told me of the numbers of birds they seen it sounded like they have more birds than even South Dakota or Nebraska.
There is a very liberal bag limit of 3 birds per day in New Zealand and that tripped my trigger to put the destination on my wish list.

Really, GSLAM95, my understanding has always been that the turkeys that roam free in New Zealand are barnyard turkeys that escaped and flourished due to a lack of predators.  My understanding is that they roost on fence posts due to a lack of trees.   
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

GSLAM95

silvestris if I ever get the chance to go over there and find out in person I will let you know when I get back  ;)

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

Gooserbat

Florida because I never can seem to get there to finish my slam.

Missouri because it's awesome.

Pushmataha WMA in SE Oklahoma because it's where I cut my teeth turkey hunting so it's like going home every time I get to hunt there.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mudhen

1. New Zealand

2. See 1.

3. See 2 & 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka