Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How to get close to bird at first light?

Started by northms, February 02, 2015, 03:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

I've had the dilemma last few seasons of trying to get in close to birds that are seemingly un-huntable unless you can get right in on them at first light.

There's a pond that has a levee on one side and then on the other three sides it's surrounded by woods with big oaks they like to roost in each night.  No rhyme or reason as to where they'll be each morning, but somewhere within the bowl that lowers to the pond in those oaks.

Each morning they will hit the ground and go one of three ways.  Long story short, if I can get in tight on them before daylight I can probably kill one before he goes any which a way.

The problem has always been getting in close is next to impossible.  The leaves make it where I might as well be ringing a bell and the hens that are usually with them are all around.

So how do you get in close to birds in the morning?  Any unusual tactics you've used?

FullChoke

I have found that moving into place while it is still pitch black dark does not spook a bird. If there is no moon, that much better. No flashlight, just sneak in.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Bowguy

Go n roost em. Than as it gets darker sneak close n see which way they're facing and set up on that side. They sometimes flip on a limb but the odds are w you.
Go early, like real early. Walk slow, a few steps at a time. If you break brush wait! try n sound like a deer poking along very slow n quietly. Leave your light off and in your vest.

northms

My brother and I tried the real early tactic last year and ended up bumping some so we backed out.  They flew outta there at daylight like scalded dogs.

It's worth trying again this year, especially if the moon is in our favor.

GobbleNut

Go in during the day when the birds aren't around and figure out where you want to set up, then clear a path to that spot so that you can go in quietly before first light. 

dirt road ninja

I have a friend I can bring, that way we can cover all routes.
If it's early and dark you can get fairly close, I try and stay 75 yards away.

yelpaholic

GO in in the dark and be sneaky , cant sound like an elephant , there used to hearing deer and stuff in the dark...

Timmer

I have only bumped a bird off the roost in the dark once.  I have, however, gotten closer than intended several times without the birds taking off.  I check the sunrise tables and plan on being seated in place 75 mins before the noted sunrise.   Give yourself walk-in time on top of that. 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

tomstopper

Quote from: FullChoke on February 02, 2015, 03:36:36 PM
I have found that moving into place while it is still pitch black dark does not spook a bird. If there is no moon, that much better. No flashlight, just sneak in.
:agreed:

mgm1955

Quote from: tomstopper on February 02, 2015, 09:28:05 PM
Quote from: FullChoke on February 02, 2015, 03:36:36 PM
X2

silvestris

If he is with hens, wait until he goes to roost, then go in busting dove loads.  Watch/listen for the direction in which he flies and setup between where he went and where went from.  I have accidentally busted several gobblers off the roost after sunset and if I could get back the next morning, I cannot for the life of me remember one who saw another sunset.  It is a fall hunt with sexual desperation added to the mix.  Not the kind of thing you want to make a habit of, but he chose the difficult roost, not you.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

shaman

Just some random and contrary thoughts:

First off, I would question why you think you need to get really close.  I spent the first 15 years of my turkey career trying to get as close as I could and finally figured out that I could stay well back and wait for them to come to me. The trick was observing which way they tended to go. You've got that down to a 1-3 shot already.

Second, I have a buddy treestand that is frequently used by turkeys as a roost.  I can be almost to the top of the ladder before I find out they're there.  It can be a rather explosive experience, and I would suggest that folks in my situation no have their mouths open, looking up, when it happens.  However, the trick always seems to be coming in before first light.

Third, have you tried actually busting them off the roost deliberately?  If you do a good job of it, the turkeys will scatter every which way.  You then only need to sit down in the middle of it all and  do assembly calls.  That's what happens when I find turkeys roosting on my treestand. They spend the next 2 hours squabbling about who's going to come where, reforming the flock and moving off.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Tomspur

I've done this several times so don't laugh. Have found that if you know where the birds are roosted and want to slip in as close as possible and its not too wet I have taken my shoes off and walked in with just socks (dark). Makes a big difference and you feel everything you walk on. You may want to consider pre scouting during daylight hours the area you are going to slip in and get a feel for where you are going. Would also not use a light. Good luck. :z-twocents:

Britton40

Quote from: Tomspur on February 03, 2015, 09:12:08 AM
I've done this several times so don't laugh. Have found that if you know where the birds are roosted and want to slip in as close as possible and its not too wet I have taken my shoes off and walked in with just socks (dark). Makes a big difference and you feel everything you walk on. You may want to consider pre scouting during daylight hours the area you are going to slip in and get a feel for where you are going. Would also not use a light. Good luck. :z-twocents:

Well worn in Crocs and neoprene socks are quiet in the leaves.  No traction at all in the slick stuff though.

paboxcall

Quote from: silvestris on February 02, 2015, 09:47:37 PM
If he is with hens, wait until he goes to roost, then go in busting dove loads.  Watch/listen for the direction in which he flies and setup between where he went and where went from.  I have accidentally busted several gobblers off the roost after sunset and if I could get back the next morning, I cannot for the life of me remember one who saw another sunset.  It is a fall hunt with sexual desperation added to the mix.  Not the kind of thing you want to make a habit of, but he chose the difficult roost, not you.

If you can't get tight because of topography or geography, bust them off the roost.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot