turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I need some help

Started by shaman, January 31, 2015, 09:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaman

This is going to be an odd post. However, I've been seeing what y'all put up on Youtube, so I know I'm addressing this to an overall savvy bunch of guys.

I am working on a sound project.  It is directly related to turkey hunting, but it is not your usual sort of thing.  I need a little bit of help, but I cannot give away the details of the project just yet.  When the finished project is complete, you'll understand.  I promise you'll be the first to know.

I need some people to volunteer to send me some sounds of their turkey calling.  I need to simulate the following things:

1)  A mixed group of gobblers and hens flying down in the morning.

2) A large herd of turkeys moving through the forest feeding.

3)  A large group of turkeys mulling about in a clearing, some getting chippy with each other.

I will take the submissions and mix them into a few tracks that will be used as background.  If you send me your best cluck and purr, for instance, what I'll probably do is repeat your call 50 times, and blend it with a few others and then mix it all down into one track.  The idea here is to give an accurate representation of how turkeys sound coming off the roost in the morning and moving on to feed. 

I will give attribution to everyone that participates in the final product.

The reason I am asking for this is that I had hoped to come up with the material from my own recordings of wild turkeys, but I could not find enough suitable material. 

Submissions should be sent as email attachments to turkey@blackholecoffeehouse.com .  They should be in .mp3 or .wav format.  Make sure you give me the name you want in the credits in the body of the email. In the sound file, don't bother announcing what you're going to do, just do it.  I'll go through and use the snippets I need. If at all possible, try to keep them in the specific order you'd find them in the course of a morning hunt.  That is, keep the tree calls at the beginning, then the fly down cackles then the cluck and purrs, etc.  Put at least 3 seconds of dead space between calls so it is easier to edit. 

The problem I had with my own material is that there was too much ambient noise to mix things together very well.  One of the problems with recording turkeys in the wild is there are so many other things out there making noise.  When I tried to layer tracks, all I ended up with was audio mush.  Record your tracks indoors and try to hold down the extraneous noise.  If you have a TV on in the other room or a noisy fan, that will be a reason why I won't be able to use your sound. 

This is not a for-profit project, and I doubt anyone would pay for the finished product, but I think we'll all have a good laugh over  it when it's done.   No salesman will call at your door.

My hope is to have this project done before I leave for Turkey Camp in mid-April.  Figure that I will need your submission in the next 3 weeks-- 21 February.   After that, I may find I need specific things. I'll post those requests later. 

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer