OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

One piece of advice

Started by soky, January 19, 2015, 10:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cut N Run

Don't fall in love with the sound of your own calling.  Turkeys have natural curiosity that can work to your advantage, if you let it.   You don't need to constantly call to make them gobble all the way to the gun, unless you're planning on filming a TV show or something. Call sparingly & mix it up enough to keep them interested without giving away your position.  Make them hunt for you. How many times in the woods do you hear a lot of real hen talk all coming from the exact same location anyway?   

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

kyhareraiser

just remember a turkey has no where to get in a hurry, patience,patience, patience

longbeardbuster

Don't wear red, white, or blue

Uncle Tom

We have all these calls and use them all....different one today than yesterday and different sound today than yesterday. Maby today yelp, a little clucking tomorrow and on and on. But if we will stop and listen we will most all agree...we hear hens very little and you know they are out there and that ole gobbler finds them every day. How does he do it if we can't hear them and I can hear pretty good. Got me to thinking many years ago...and think I hit on something. That hen many times will draw that gobbler in or get his attention with one note...the cluck. If you will notice that...and it is hard to do because it is not as loud as the yelp...BUT that ole gobbler can hear it way further away than we can. Only ones we can hear are near by...maby 100 yds or less. Well, he can hear that same cluck I am convinced 300 yds or more. Have brought in many birds with just a cluck or two every 30 minutes or so and many marched hundreds of yards because I could hear him that far and he could hear my cluck that far. Try it if you want to find out   what you have been missing...took me long time to learn this but when I did went to killin birds. Another thing this does is it doesn't disturb the woods so much with all this calling...just natural for the woods to be quiet....and the older gobblers know this many times. They get fooled with a cluck many more times than loud yelping I believe.

Beak

always wear gloves. your hands are nothing but flags to the birds

turkeyfoot

Number one tip is setup you wouldn't believe the birds I've seen get spooked by people not thinking that the hens may come in first and they get busted only focusing on the gobbler, You need to be still and have good enough setup that if multiple hens come in first you can sit and wait on big boy to bring up rear. In other words always assume hen is coming first