OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbeard xr?

Started by Tbrady835, January 16, 2015, 09:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tbrady835

Does anyone know why winchester claims the long beard xr has 10 percent better penetration over standard lead loads and why they say on the box they have heavier than lead performance?

Gobble!

I have not heard of "Long Beard" XRs but I have heard of Winchesters Xtended Range shells. The pellets in those loads are heavier than lead. They compare to the Hevi shot shells.

Never mind it see it now. Always just thought they were called long beards.

Tbrady835

I don't want bs for an answer so winchester is out. I wanted real hunters with real information to give me their best guess

Rem Man

If I had to guess I would think maybe because of the higher Pellet count, and the shot staying dense further down range. I shot some today and they are awesome. I know that is is not hevi shot but I killed for years with 60-100 in a 10 inch with lead. I now get 155-205 with longbeards. I keep asking myself why I pay 30.00 or more for 5 shells. Good luck buddy !

daymude7288

I know ALOT of people on here talk about 40 yards being the max for an ethical shot and for the older generation that was probably true.  But with the ammo we have today and 3 1/2" shells I don't think its true anymore.  I would bet my paycheck that if a bird hangs up at 50 yards in an open field I would kill him 10 out of 10 times.  I have killed some birds that people wouldn't believe with extended range!  Last year I killed 1 at 53 steps with the Longbeards it lifted him off his feet.  Looked like he got hit by a truck!  But you better know what your gun can do before attempting a shot like that!  I spent a lot of time and money getting mine to shoot the way it does!  Good luck!

outdoors

THIS IS THE SAME AS ACHERY THAT USED TO BE 20 yards WHICH IS MOST HUMANE
NOW DAYS ITS 40 yards .    :z-twocents:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

owlhoot

Quote from: Tbrady835 on January 18, 2015, 05:27:09 PM
I don't want bs for an answer so winchester is out.

Maybe the pattern performance it has?   LEAD IS STILL LEAD.

But winchester is the one claiming it.

Tbrady835

That's why I posted this bc winchester goes as far to say that the longbeards have "heavier than lead performance for a fraction of the cost"

Ihuntoldschool

The shot-lok resin protects the shot during initial setback, which means the pellets deform less and exit the muzzle more perfectly round.  Perfectly round pellets tend to both pattern and penetrate better. I believe the claim to be true based on the way Longbeard impacts the target vs. other lead loads at similar distances.

coyotetrpr

I would guess that their heavier than led performance claim is more about the pattern density these shells deliver and less about the kenetic energy that they deliver. Because just like stated before they are still lead.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

owlhoot

Quote from: coyotetrpr on January 25, 2015, 01:04:39 PM
I would guess that their heavier than led performance claim is more about the pattern density these shells deliver and less about the kenetic energy that they deliver. Because just like stated before they are still lead.
agreed
Now the shot lok resin protects the shot , but the entire lead charge was not deformed without the resin before.
So for that to be true all or most of the pellets of standard lead loads would have to be deformed and most or none of the resin protected shot could be deformed for improved 10 percent better penetration.
noticing a tight 10" core pattern hitting the target is impressive.

Ihuntoldschool

Whatever the reason, I believe the claim about 10 % greater penetration to be true, compared to other lead loads. Anyone else notice it appears to hit the target "harder", compared to other lead loads? I know I have. It sure seems to move the target/target backing more.

Perhaps the shot retains more velocity from traveling in a tight mass as opposed to not being protected and contained inside the resin and allowed to spread out quicker? Maybe there is a drafting effect?  I'm just throwing out theories, but I do believe the claim.

blueridgegobbler

This stuff hits like a train I cant explain either I just notice the effect on the pattern board rocks a lot more than even my last nitro shell. Im sold wont buy anymore nitros!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

owlhoot

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on January 25, 2015, 03:48:29 PM
Whatever the reason, I believe the claim about 10 % greater penetration to be true, compared to other lead loads. Anyone else notice it appears to hit the target "harder", compared to other lead loads? I know I have. It sure seems to move the target/target backing more.

Perhaps the shot retains more velocity from traveling in a tight mass as opposed to not being protected and contained inside the resin and allowed to spread out quicker?
Oh no!  VELOCITY  lol

As you can see Tbrady we all seem to be guessing.
Has anyone seen an explanation from Winchester?

Tbrady835

I'm with you guys they hit HARD!! The longbeards are the only shell I have shot that will literally rock my turkey target! With #6 I can push 200 in the 10" at 40 w/ stock 835 w/ factory choke! I love the ideas u guys have had especially about the pellets staying rounder thus greater penetration, that makes a lot of sense. Also I like the idea of the pellets experiencing some kind of drafting affect, I'm not a physicist but it seems likely the pellets would retain some more energy/velocity due to being way closer together leaving bore. Thanks guys for all the input, keep it coming and maybe we will all make some sense out of this :thanks: