Main Menu

Official Team Noob Thread

Started by JuniorPre 360, January 16, 2015, 01:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottS

Efey

Sweet! I'm heading back into the woods tomorrow morning. Report to come

Efey

Wow mason did you get your 3rd bird already??? In Mississippi you'd be tagged out! I'm hoping I get one!

mason3toes

Yes 3rd, beginners luck i suppose. Lets turn this thing around and make a show of it.

Efey

Heard 22 gobbles Saturday morning but only put eyes on 3 jakes that got within 15 steps of me. Plenty of sign. The hunt continues. I made a video of my calling on a lights out hackberry ceramic pot I just bought. I'm new to calling so please critique.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: Efey on March 23, 2015, 09:08:56 AM
Heard 22 gobbles Saturday morning but only put eyes on 3 jakes that got within 15 steps of me. Plenty of sign. The hunt continues. I made a video of my calling on a lights out hackberry ceramic pot I just bought. I'm new to calling so please critique.

Efey stay after 'em; it's good that you're hearing gobblers & seeing jakes!

Re: calling, watch this: https://youtu.be/YFLj5ynJnNc ...  Your slate sounds really good, just slow down a little bit on your yelps, like I'm doing in this video...

Good luck!!
BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Efey

Quote from: bamagtrdude on March 23, 2015, 10:10:01 AM

Re: calling, watch this: https://youtu.be/YFLj5ynJnNc ...  Your slate sounds really good, just slow down a little bit on your yelps, like I'm doing in this video...

Good luck!!
BGD

Thanks BGD!!!

bamagtrdude

Quote from: Efey on March 23, 2015, 10:23:14 AM

Quote from: bamagtrdude on March 23, 2015, 10:10:01 AM

Good luck!!
BGD

Thanks BGD!!!

You're welcome, bud; you're doing good, man; stay on 'em!!!
---

Efey

So break this down for me. When I should call and when I shouldn't.

This was my Saturday hunt:

I snuck into the woods an hour before daylight. Set out two hen decoys in the plot.

At daybreak the gobbling began to the SE of me at what sounded to be 150ish yards and another at what seemed a little further in the same direction. Both birds gobbled many times and I remained quiet assuming they would work to the field.  They got quiet for a bit before gobbling a few last times at which point a gave a few yelps and shut up. They never made their way over. The 3 jakes came from the NW.

Should I have called more? Earlier? Not at all? Moved in on them? How should that have played out for me if I were experienced?

Efey

In the picture I am facing north

bamagtrdude

Quote from: Efey on March 23, 2015, 11:58:37 AM
In the picture I am facing north

Efey, PM me your phone #; too much to type.
BGD
---

Efey

Big Treble

Quote from: mason3toes on March 20, 2015, 01:22:55 PM
kill thread posted and someone already added one?

Thanks for stepping up.

Sorry I haven't been on often, but I am in, only have a 5 day season, but have taken vaca and cleared my weekend to hunt all 5 days.  Also got in on a "NWTF Learn to Hunt" program to hunt an extra day.  Funny a guy who has hunted for 35 years gets in on a learn to hunt program simply since I never hunted turkey LOL

mason3toes

Quote from: Big Treble on March 23, 2015, 08:04:30 PM
Quote from: mason3toes on March 20, 2015, 01:22:55 PM
kill thread posted and someone already added one?

Thanks for stepping up.

Sorry I haven't been on often, but I am in, only have a 5 day season, but have taken vaca and cleared my weekend to hunt all 5 days.  Also got in on a "NWTF Learn to Hunt" program to hunt an extra day.  Funny a guy who has hunted for 35 years gets in on a learn to hunt program simply since I never hunted turkey LOL
no prob and good luck everyone

Bigeclipse

I'm in NY and our season doesn't start until May 1st. We have a limit of two toms, one per day. I'm hoping to at least get a jake this year due to circumstances of logging going on in my only area to hunt. Last year it was actually good...I got chance at 4 toms...two busted me and I froze when I should have shot, one I had a misfire on the ammo when i pulled the trigger (i was so pissed) and the 4th hung up at about 50 yards. I have to admit...I was strictly a deer hunter for 5 years now but damn...turkey hunting is a blast!!!