OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How to gain permission

Started by nctrkyhntr, March 20, 2011, 06:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nctrkyhntr

Alright guys this is whats going on. About a mile and half from where I am staying right now. There is a tract of land that is 150 acres and there and a bunch of birds there. My dad just saw a strutter yesterday morning. I am thinking about stopping by the house and asking permission to turkey hunter there.

What is the best approach?

mfd1027

Be courteous, straight forward and friendly.    I would ask if they allow folks to hunt turkeys and ask them how you could gain permission to hunt.   Offer to do some chores if that's what it will take.   If they bring up liability the NRA now has a downloadable hold harmless agreement you could offer them.    Nothing ventured nothing gained Jon.  Go and ask.   Your a salesman, sell yourself.   Good luck!!!
Dan

unclerick

What Dan said John, just be as polite and courtious as you can, tell them your name and ask if they will let you turkey hunt, offer to hang gates or clean some fence rows, any kind of chores, just let them know you don't have any money to pay to hunt but work is diffently something you got,,,do not go around suppertime though, that is a big no no.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

nctrkyhntr

Thanks guys. Great advice. This flock of turkeys I have been seeing has a couple of white ones with buff grey on them.

harvester

Looks like Dan and Rick has everything covered. I would offer some advice but nothing has seemed to work for me so far.  :anim_25:

mfd1027

Now you've got to get permission Jon.   Those white/grey turkeys are just plain neat.   I'd love to shoot one but never have.  I've  never seen one that was really lightly colored in the wild but I've seen a lot of pictures of them.   The closest I've ever came is 3-4 tail feathers.   

I was thinking about an opening line and came up with this.   

Hello  Mam/Sir my name is Jon Carlson.  I know this is a longshot but I was wondering if I could get permission to hunt turkeys on your property? 

Short/sweet and to the point.   You're going to need some kind of an ice breaker so whatever you do don't go in there without a plan and an opening line.    I guarantee you your heart will be pumping. lol   
Dan

unclerick

Quote from: mfd1027 on March 21, 2011, 09:35:44 AM
Now you've got to get permission Jon.   Those white/grey turkeys are just plain neat.   I'd love to shoot one but never have.  I've  never seen one that was really lightly colored in the wild but I've seen a lot of pictures of them.   The closest I've ever came is 3-4 tail feathers.   

I was thinking about an opening line and came up with this.   

Hello  Mam/Sir my name is Jon Carlson.  I know this is a longshot but I was wondering if I could get permission to hunt turkeys on your property? 

Short/sweet and to the point.   You're going to need some kind of an ice breaker so whatever you do don't go in there without a plan and an opening line.    I guarantee you your heart will be pumping. lol   
:icon_thumright:  One other thing dont were camo when you ask.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

mfd1027

Good point Rick.   Definitely don't wear camo.   
Dan

MDbowman

Can't believe I am gonna offer advice to someone on another team....LOL

Let them know you are local, that you live right down the road and while driving by have noticed birds in their fields. If they have a nice looking farm by all means let them know!!! Just a couple ice breakers without a bunch of BS. Let them know you will respect their property - livestock, gates, fences, crops, etc.

Good luck to you.

gob09

Jon you could let rick come up and go with ya just let him do the talkin he's great at aquiring permisson

mfd1027

Thanks Mdbowman!!!  First and foremost we're all turkey hunters.    Good luck!! to you  and to your team this season.     
Dan

harvester

I always ask where could I park, so that I won't be in their way. Also what I will be driving. If you got kids, take them along as well. Sometimes I ask if I can go fishing with my kids at their ponds and we get to know each other better. Then they see that I don't leave any trash lying around and will take care of their property and in return they may let you hunt also.

nctrkyhntr

Thank you everyone for your advice. I will be putting all of this to use in the next day or two. I got to catch them while they are at their farm house. Thank you again

harvester

Quote from: nctrkyhntr on March 21, 2011, 10:11:03 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice. I will be putting all of this to use in the next day or two. I got to catch them while they are at their farm house. Thank you again

Have you been able to get in touch with them yet, if so how did it go.

nctrkyhntr

Havent been able to talk to anyone yet. The bad thing is I saw a strutter with about 5 hens in the fields on wednesday so that really got the blood boiling lol.