OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Odd things you've seen.

Started by Model 1300, January 13, 2015, 08:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

I found a moonshine still that turned out to be my great uncle and great grandpa's.  They both had been dead for years. 

Let's say it stayed in the family.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

tomstopper

About 10 years ago I  stumbled on a marijuana patch on a farmers land. He said he didn't know it was out there and called the cops. That was a weird experience bc the cop wanted me to show him (just felt like I was going to be blamed...)

Funniest one was when me and a buddy got permission to hunt a new piece of land that had logging road access off  of a No-Winter Maintenance road. The young lovers must not have thought anyone else was out there and decided to have some afternoon fun. We walked down the road and turned a corner and there they were in the back of the kids truck. I have never seen two teenagers move from the back of a truck to the front and drive away so fast ever.....

Bustabeak

My buddy and I were walking to our stand early one morning and we heard something in the thick stuff beside us. I shined my light to see an albino raccoon staring at us as he held on to the side of a tree. I could have sworn it was a sloth. Ha!

WV Ridge Reaper

flintlock

Saw a full sized tent sailing through the sky once, evidently the folks didn't stake it down and the wind got it. It was prob 200 yards high and we used a guys telephoto camera lens to see what it was. 

Arrowed a good buck 3-4 years ago that had an orange gatoraide plastic cap band on his foot like a bracelet.

Fought a big catfish in the river for at least 20 min or so once (light tackle) to finally figure out I was snagged on the flap of a tarp out in the current.  My boys laughed for 10 minutes.
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

870FaceLift

Quote from: flintlock on January 15, 2015, 12:34:10 PM
Saw a full sized tent sailing through the sky once, evidently the folks didn't stake it down and the wind got it. It was prob 200 yards high and we used a guys telephoto camera lens to see what it was. 

Arrowed a good buck 3-4 years ago that had an orange gatoraide plastic cap band on his foot like a bracelet.

Fought a big catfish in the river for at least 20 min or so once (light tackle) to finally figure out I was snagged on the flap of a tarp out in the current.  My boys laughed for 10 minutes.

:TooFunny:

Pass it on...

The Cohutta Strutter

Anybody seen America lately?

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

J Hook Max

Was fishing in an old lake on a WMA about a mile back in the woods in the Mississippi River bottoms near Memphis. As I was walking out of the woods, a young spike buck began following me. I thought I was seeing things but he followed me all the way out of the woods to the truck.
A game warden was there at the truck and as it turned out , the deer belonged to a Park Ranger who lived about a mile away. He had wondered where his deer had went to.

ccleroy

Quote from: guesswho on January 14, 2015, 03:59:58 PM
I've had several weird experiences.

Found a human leg in Laurens county Georgia a few years ago while turkey hunting.  Also found a moonshine still within 1/4 mile from the leg. 

About 35 years ago in Central Florida I found a crop of Marijuana plants while turkey hunting.

Also in Central Florida I found a skinned out dog hanging in a tree.  And in the same area a couple years after that I found a pair of tennis shoes, jeans, t-shirt and ball cap laid out on the ground like someone laying there.   The shirt had a railroad spike stuck through the shirt and into the ground in the chest area. 

Found a capsized boat with what looked like bullet holes in the bottom still attached to the trailer in a pit far off the nearest road. 

That's just a few of the things I've run across.

Oh, and I killed this in the Green Swamp Management are in Central Florida in the early 80's.

Ronnie, trouble follows you.......rofl

RutnNStrutn

I saw a Florida panther walk by about 100 yards away. At first I thought it was a deer, but when I looked with my binocs, it was a panther!!!! :o I let him pass through, then beat feet out of that area!!!! ;D

Izzyjoe

Back in early 90's a buddy and me was out squirrel hunting in September, we was on Ntn. Forest it was still pretty warm, and we kept smelling this pungent odor, little did we know we walked smack dab in the middle of a pot crop! He was wanting to grab some, and I said bull, let's get the heck out of here! They like to set booby trap around those places, and I wanted to far from there!  Several years ago I was deer hunting on public land and took a mid mourning walk, well I happen to walk up on a man and woman getting after it, they were at full steam, they didn't even check up, like they didn't care who caught them! When I told my friend about it,I has embarrassed, but he laughed and said " Hell you should have been cheering them on"!   :happy0064:

grayfox

I was turkey hunting on the National Forest land a couple years ago.  I had a hen decoy set up down the log road from me.  I was backed up in the bushes just off the side of the log road sitting in my Cabela's Gobbler Lounger.  I had already had a hen come down the road earler.  After a while I saw a woman on a horse & a man leading his horse top the hill down the road from me about a hundred yards.  They stopped for a few minutes looking & pointing at my decoy in the log road.  Guess they were debating was it real or not.  Then they came on down the road right past my decoy & as they was about to go by me I said hello.  The lady nearly jumped off her horse cause it scared her so bad.  They said they never saw me & apologized for messing up my hunt.  I told them it was no problem that I was about to leave anyway & to have a nice day.  Never expected this while turkey hunting.

A guy I hunt with sometimes was set up on a food plot on a WMA with his hen decoy out.  It was afternoon & he said he was sorta snoozing when something caught his attention.  An eagle came diving down & tore a hole in the top of his decoy with his claws.  He showed me the tear in his decoy.  You just don't ever know what you might see while hunting.

surehuntsalot

several years ago I was deer hunting on some public land, I was up about 15' in a climbing stand off in a out of the way corner of land away from the road. no 4 wheelers are allowed in this area, so of course a while after I got set up I could hear a 4 wheeler heading my way, I finally saw the 4 wheeler come into view, it was a young man and girl riding together.
They stopped about 50 yards from me, I started to yell at them but decided to see what they were up to, they never saw me or had any clue that I was anywhere around. Well a long story short, it apparently developed into a romantic moment, they started getting frisky, well things got all hot and the next thing I know they are down to business, she was on her back with her eyes shut, sometime during "the business" she opened her eyes and saw me sitting there with my head propped in my hands staring at them. I laughed so hard I almost fell out of the stand, that was a sight watching 2 scared to death NAKED kids take off on a 4 wheeler screaming.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

jblackburn

This was fairly random on the OK/KS line.

Apparently back in the 1940s this was a happening night club that Bob Wills would play at.  I think it burned in the late 40s or 50s
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.