OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Beginner Questions  (Read 39023 times)

Offline Jrkimbrough

Beginner Questions
« on: January 18, 2019, 04:53:49 PM »
I'm thinking about giving it a go at our local state calling competition this year just for fun but want to be prepared.

When calling in the Friction division, can you switch to different pots, strikers, box call, etc. as long as it's friction between different calls the judges ask for?

Also what is the average time period your call sequence should last for each call?

Are there any other pointers you can give a newbie to the "contest calling" scene?

I watch a lot of the calling contest videos on youtube and facebook but most of those are I guess what you would consider the open division and not friction.

Thanks!!

Online Upfold99

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Beginner Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 05:47:57 PM »
Yes, you can switch between the call types. Just wait to hear the requested call sequence and then select the call you perform best on. Typically, I think call sequences are not supposed to be more than 2 min per sequence.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 01:05:56 PM »
Do yourself a huge favor and hook up with someone who is already involved in contest calling.

Pick a routine for each required call, keep it simple.... give three or four sequences of THAT call, and stick to the routine. (It's easy to get nervous on stage and start to wonder)

Offline larry9988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 11:11:23 PM »
I know the contest call list has changed in the last few years. What is a complete list of the calls that a contestant may be asked to play?

Offline Brizendine1234

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 03:08:43 PM »
They ask for plan yelp excited yelp cutting Kee Kee run cluck cluck in purr just purr fighting purr fly down jake yelp tree yelp about 1 min a call on stage you want to sound as really as possible

Offline Here turkey turkey turkey

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 01:32:21 AM »
Good luck.
To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788