Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

sit and wait AND Run n Gun questions

Started by Bigeclipse, January 08, 2015, 12:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvestris

Yep, that's me.  If more would manage their small fields in this sort of fashion, there would be greater poult production and therefore more turkeys at a very low cost.  The idea is to provide for all of the needs of the turkey/deer on your property.  Not all properties are candidates, but this one, other than size, looks to be a candidate.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Bigeclipse

Quote from: silvestris on January 09, 2015, 09:48:00 AM
Yep, that's me.  If more would manage their small fields in this sort of fashion, there would be greater poult production and therefore more turkeys at a very low cost.  The idea is to provide for all of the needs of the turkey/deer on your property.  Not all properties are candidates, but this one, other than size, looks to be a candidate.

well I have two comments...again we had these fields all brush hogged the first 3 years of ownership with ZERO improvement in deer/Turkey sightings in those fields (lots of turkeys/deer in the woods though).  this past year my father-in-law opted to not brushhog the fields and there was tons of sightings of deer in the fields, still no sightings of turkey so he decided he'd rather not brush hog anymore. Im thinking he didn't give it enough years but who knows.  Anyways, its his land and if he doesn't want it brush hogged than that's the way it is...I will try and persuade him but even if I paid for it he wouldn't have it at this point. So it looks like im stuck hunting the woods.  Fortunately as stated before, I had a few optortunities on tom's last year so I am hopefully for them this year :)

shaman

There was a similar sort of conversation going on at Turkey and Turkey Hunting a few years ago that sort of reminds me of this.

Check this out:

Deep Woods vs. Fields
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

silvestris

Sons-in-law don't know diddly.  You have to find a way to make him think it is his idea.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

shaman

That idea of the free eval from the wildlife biologist outta get him going.  Tell him you have a friend that had one.

BTW: Deer love tall grass and weeds for bedding.  I wouldn't mow everything.  If all I was doing was mowing, I'd mow lanes and leave islands for the deer to bed.   Both deer and turkey are drawn to edges. Increase the edge of this or that, and you've improved it.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: shaman on January 09, 2015, 10:37:16 AM
That idea of the free eval from the wildlife biologist outta get him going.  Tell him you have a friend that had one.

BTW: Deer love tall grass and weeds for bedding.  I wouldn't mow everything.  If all I was doing was mowing, I'd mow lanes and leave islands for the deer to bed.   Both deer and turkey are drawn to edges. Increase the edge of this or that, and you've improved it.

we did that in the front two fields.  Again, saw much more deer leaving the fields unmowed/brushhogged this year than we did the other 3 years. Could have been a coincidence though.

shaman

No, I think you're onto something.  Those deer are gravitating to the tall grass for bedding.  You need to keep some of it. Scout.  Find where they are bedding and then leave that grass unmowed. 

For turkey, at least on my property, a mowed strip along the edge of a field is a plus.  They also like to walk down tracks and roads-- just about anywhere they can see at a distance.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: shaman on January 09, 2015, 12:40:16 PM
No, I think you're onto something.  Those deer are gravitating to the tall grass for bedding.  You need to keep some of it. Scout.  Find where they are bedding and then leave that grass unmowed. 

For turkey, at least on my property, a mowed strip along the edge of a field is a plus.  They also like to walk down tracks and roads-- just about anywhere they can see at a distance.

That is why I think they hang in the woods a lot because the woods are so open.  you cant tell on that google map photo I posted but the woods inside the yellow grid have been logged so they are very open with a few logging trails going through them.  The woods around the property are unlogged and very thick.

TauntoHawk

I dont know what state youre in but most every state that has turkeys has pretty decent turkey hunting on public where you can "run-n-gun" a heck of a lot more.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

bamagtrdude

Thoughts:

1) This coming year, OBSERVE as much as you can ALL areas marked in red.  Esp rainy/windy days.  Look for birds in these fields, grazing, strutting/fanning, etc.  I recognize this isn't YOUR land, but ...  it would tell you where the turkeys like to be, in open fields.  Given the number of "open" fields next to your #1 field, I'm not surprised that mowing/disc'ing/clearing it produced "results".  One other thing -- deer & turkey LOVE sanctuary/hidden fields; let ALL of the surrounding trees/shrubs/etc around field #1 GROW WAY UP and "enclose" field #1.  In 5 years from now, *phew* -- mecca.

2) The purple-lookin' spot w/the X is where I'd trek & sit & start my hunts; it'd be even BETTER if it was the highest point on this 150 acres.  But even if it's not, it would put you DEAD CENTER of the property, with maximum options to move in any given direction -- or, not move at all.  Sit tight & let the birds come to papa.

Just some initial thoughts, but ...  I'd have to walk this land to get a better feel for it ...  but, I'm the hunter that likes "path of least resistance"; if birds/deer seem to like the woods, hunt the woods; if they like the fields, hunt the fields.  But, I'm tellin' ya, field #1 could be a bad-*ss spot, 5 years from now, if you managed it right.

BGD

PS. Pisser alert - I could *very* easily see birds roosted in your trees, & then flying down into those clear fields...  :)  hahaha
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

J Hook Max

Try and find another place to hunt where you can hunt the way you prefer. 150 acres is reall not enough land to do much running and gunning. It is plenty to sit and wait if there are turkeys there. However, waiting in a grown up field is a waste of time.
As for spooking the birds, see if you can use a crow call or owl call to make them gobble. Then ease faily close and make your setup before calling. When you use your turkey call to make them gobble, many times they are headed your way while you are trying to get set up and they end up seeing you.
The best tip I can give you when running and gunning is to never call without looking for a spot you can quickly sit down should a turkey answer you. This is a lesson most hunters (myself included) have had to learn the hard way.
Where you at in Alabama ? I'm in the South end. (Monroe County)

Bigeclipse

Quote from: bamagtrdude on January 09, 2015, 04:15:55 PM
Thoughts:

1) This coming year, OBSERVE as much as you can ALL areas marked in red.  Esp rainy/windy days.  Look for birds in these fields, grazing, strutting/fanning, etc.  I recognize this isn't YOUR land, but ...  it would tell you where the turkeys like to be, in open fields.  Given the number of "open" fields next to your #1 field, I'm not surprised that mowing/disc'ing/clearing it produced "results".  One other thing -- deer & turkey LOVE sanctuary/hidden fields; let ALL of the surrounding trees/shrubs/etc around field #1 GROW WAY UP and "enclose" field #1.  In 5 years from now, *phew* -- mecca.

2) The purple-lookin' spot w/the X is where I'd trek & sit & start my hunts; it'd be even BETTER if it was the highest point on this 150 acres.  But even if it's not, it would put you DEAD CENTER of the property, with maximum options to move in any given direction -- or, not move at all.  Sit tight & let the birds come to papa.

Just some initial thoughts, but ...  I'd have to walk this land to get a better feel for it ...  but, I'm the hunter that likes "path of least resistance"; if birds/deer seem to like the woods, hunt the woods; if they like the fields, hunt the fields.  But, I'm tellin' ya, field #1 could be a bad-*ss spot, 5 years from now, if you managed it right.

BGD

PS. Pisser alert - I could *very* easily see birds roosted in your trees, & then flying down into those clear fields...  :)  hahaha

All I have to say is wow. You are spot on about the purple X. That is where I have seen multiple toms  when I was running and gunning last spring. 4 toms on 2 different days in paarticular. And yes that is the highest part of the property. The field that is outside field 1 to the right and above the yellow is a cut corn field that is not ours. It holds quite a few turkeys but is across a 20 foot wide creak so I rarely see those turkeys fly over and our birds fly over there.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: J Hook Max on January 09, 2015, 08:59:38 PM
Try and find another place to hunt where you can hunt the way you prefer. 150 acres is reall not enough land to do much running and gunning. It is plenty to sit and wait if there are turkeys there. However, waiting in a grown up field is a waste of time.
As for spooking the birds, see if you can use a crow call or owl call to make them gobble. Then ease faily close and make your setup before calling. When you use your turkey call to make them gobble, many times they are headed your way while you are trying to get set up and they end up seeing you.
The best tip I can give you when running and gunning is to never call without looking for a spot you can quickly sit down should a turkey answer you. This is a lesson most hunters (myself included) have had to learn the hard way.
Where you at in Alabama ? I'm in the South end. (Monroe County)

I am actually in new york. I don't mind sitting and waiting. And by running and gunning I walk very very slow and call. Thew reason I do this is the map is missleading. The center of the property is like the peak of a mountain/hill and some parts are rather steep where a turkey would never climb up or down so if I hear a turkey in one of those directions...that's when I move my setup and I move very slowly and quietly looking and listening as I go. The turkey that busted me didn't see me coming. I was already setup. He gobbled and I waited. Problem is where he came up he had a buddy to the right of him I didn't see so when I moved to try and shoot him the buddy saw me and they both tool off running.

bamagtrdude

Quote from: Bigeclipse on January 10, 2015, 10:21:40 AM
Quote from: bamagtrdude on January 09, 2015, 04:15:55 PM
Thoughts:

BGD

All I have to say is wow. You are spot on about the purple X. That is where I have seen multiple toms  when I was running and gunning last spring. 4 toms on 2 different days in paarticular. And yes that is the highest part of the property. The field that is outside field 1 to the right and above the yellow is a cut corn field that is not ours. It holds quite a few turkeys but is across a 20 foot wide creak so I rarely see those turkeys fly over and our birds fly over there.

:)  You're welcome.  And, hey, if the purple X marks the spot - sit tight, don't run & gun.  They want to come there anyway.  Throw out some dekes, camo up, and blast 'em.  Get there WAY EARLY, when it's VERY dark (preferably, no full moon); slip in there quiet as a church mouse, setup, and wait for daylight.  When you hear the 1st gobbler, hit a "yelp yelp yelp" on your box call & enjoy the show.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

jakebird

Another idea to improve the quality of the land is if he won't allow you to disc up those fields is to ask him if you cam disk up the atv roads through the woods and plant them in grasses. it will attract the birds like a magnet, create dreamy set ups to kill turkeys and also help young poults which depend heavily on grassy openings for insects .
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?