turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tips on 2015 convention

Started by redjones, December 26, 2014, 09:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redjones

Seriously thinking about going to Nashville in February for the 2015 convention.
I never been to Nashville or the convention so I thought it would be a nice little trip for me and the wife.
Will probably stay at the Gaylord resort Fri,Sat,Sun,I dont have any idea where to start, are there any certain things that I should check out first.
I am open to any suggestions,maybe places to eat,certain seminars,displays,call makers etc.
Let me know what you think.

Thanks............Greg 
Semper Fi

mgm1955

Whatever plans you make there is something for everyone and you get to be at the best time you'll ever have with thousands of people who love the wild turkey.

vaturkey

If you're going I suggest reserving a room ASAP. If your staying at the Gaylord better take out a loan ! LOL   You will love it ! Anything & everthing about the wild turkey ! You might get lucky & see Tiffany also. Good Luck & have fun  :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

M Sharpe

vaturkey is right about the loan part.... :TooFunny: The Gaylord is self-contained and there really is no need to go out for anything. Don't be sucked in by that though! The food prices are out the roof!!! It's easy to stay there all day, then when the show is over you're too tire to go out, so you decide to stay there and eat........BAM....that's when they hit ya again!!
My wife and I have been going ever since it has been in Nashville. I work in the booth, she tours Nashville and eats at all the restaurants that she sees on Diners-Drive Ins & Dives. One place I would recommend is over by Vanderbilt, called the pancake pantry. You just need to be there by 6:30 am though. After that it gets packed.
It is a good place to meet folks from the forums and to see those you just see once a year; and, to know that you all share a common interest. It's like a mini vacation for us.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Gooserbat

I'll be there.  Come by the Gooserbat booth and say hello. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

redjones

Thanks guys,
I know I am probably going to wear the magnetic strip off my credit card,but hey you cant take it with you.
I am sure there are lots of great things to see and do,I am sure we will have alot of fun.
And Gooserbat I have read several good things about your calls on here so I will stop by your table for sure.

Greg
Semper Fi

slamman

I suggest you go to the booth/exhibit hall Friday not nearly as many people and you'll be able to move around.  The calling contests are a lot of fun too.

GSLAM95

I went to make room reservations at the Best Western last week as that is where we have stayed for the last several years and was a little shocked at how much room rates have gone up for the NWTF convention weekend.  At $139.99 a night it is getting closer to be worth while to just stay at the Opryland or just stay at home!
If anyone knows of a close hotel with shuttle service thats reasonable shoot me a PM..

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

dfresh55

does it cost to get in the convention it self?  and liek to go to the seminars and such?

GSLAM95

The cheapest route I have found is if you re-new or for first timers not belonging to the NWTF is to get your membership during registration while at the convention for $35.  They give you a $25 Bass Pro Shop gift card at the time so if you shop at BPS then your net cost to get in is $10 for the entire stay, you then receive membership and magazine as well.
Daily passes otherwise cost (I believe) around $10 each day if your not a member.

BTW I earlier posted about room rates at Best Western, if you call them and tell them you want the NWTF block rate it is $100 plus tax..

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

Gooserbat

Go to Booking.com to book your rooms.  The Best Western has great prices but the Country Inn has them beat by a few bucks, and a Friend of mine who travels that way a lot said it was a nice hotel.  I'm staying there so we shall see. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

reflexl

The advantage to staying at the Gaylord is you can get into the convention area quick. If I didn't live close enough to drive I would spend a little more to stay there to eleminate all the travel time.

datrip

Some great tips and comments so far. It is true about the membership and the BP card. If you are not a member and do not want to become one when you go it will cost you $20 DAILY to get in the door, which covers the exhibit hall/calling contests/seminars and some of the auctions. The wifey and I will be staying at the resort again this year. Yes it is a little costly AND the food can run a tab up also. That being said, I enjoy taking her and spoiling her for her tolerance of my turkey hunting compulsions. So it is a good trade-off. I will echo attending the exhibit hall on Friday if you can unless you enjoy feeling like a sardine. Having access to many many custom call makers and listening to them run their calls sure makes you wish you had more bling in your pockets than you will probably have. It really is a blast and for me it really starts priming the pump for opening day.

One thing we may do different is to try some eateries away from the resort after things shut down. Anyone have any recommendations on "must go" places to go other than the pancake place. Thanks!
Whatever is over my head is under His feet.
Member of the Tenth Legion since 2007

M Sharpe

Well, there is the Stock-Yard restaurant. 
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Kywoodsman

Caney Fork resteraunt is also very good and its just a couple of minutes up the road.