News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Acrylic as a Trumpet Body

Started by SCGobbler, December 04, 2014, 10:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCGobbler

Anybody ever made one?

I would assume it would be a great body based on the fact its used for Duck and Goose calls.

Why don't we see more acrylics in Turkey Calls?  I know, I know, wood is traditional.

Just asking since I never see them.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

SCGobbler

Wait, I just had a thought.

Is it because some acrylic is clear and you could see the inner dimensions?
The SC Gobbler

—Archibald Rutledge

tha bugman

merocustomcalls

Matt McClain made one and won the 2012 Tom Turpin award with it.  I think the reason we do not see more of these is because of the difficulty of turning one.  Some acrylics are a bear to turn....especially when turning something as long as a trumpet barrel.  The fact that a trumpet barrel is nearly twice the length of either part of a duck call makes this more challenging.  As the piece gets longer it gets more difficult to work with in drilling out the internals. 

Yes the acrylic will give some away in the internals but an opaque wood barrel can still be measured if a person takes the time. 

SCGobbler

Which brings me to another question Brian,

Other than Matt McClain, is he on here or does someone know how to contact him? Does anyone produce them on a regular basis?
The SC Gobbler

—Archibald Rutledge

hunter22

Matt is a member on here, mmclain.

Robert Glover also produces acrylic trumpets. I have trumpets made by both Robert and Matt and both men do quality work.

guesswho

I have one that Zumer sent me.  I think it was made by Marlin Perkins, Marlin Watkins or Merlin Olson.  I get them mixed up.  I like the sound it produces.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

merocustomcalls

I'm not sure how many call makers make them on a regular basis, however I'm sure many can make them on a custom order basis. 

M Sharpe

Mike Battey sells them. Check out WildTalker Game Calls. Frank Cox's "Green Hornet" was acrylic.

http://www.wildtalker.com/
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

ol bob

There are two reasons you don't see many one they are a bear to make, and two don't drop it if you do its broke.

savduck

Bunch of guys have made them before. Cox Green Hornet is one. Billy Buice made some. Matt McClain makes them. They sound awesome and they are very loud. Buice doesn't make anymore because he is worried about people stealing his internal dimensions.
Georgia Boy

guesswho

Quote from: savduck on December 05, 2014, 05:08:14 PM
he is worried about people stealing his internal dimensions.
Are people really concerned with someone stealing their internal dimensions?   I would think that would be easy to do with any material and some silicone if it was something you wanted to know.  I had no idea.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

M Sharpe

Buice doesn't make anymore because he is worried about people stealing his internal dimensions.

That's the reason most use a dark color acrylic. I've seen Mr. Billy's and they are a very transparent color. The problem is , they are hard to finish without the scratches in them. The finishing is the pain in the butt!!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

M Sharpe

Quote from: guesswho on December 05, 2014, 05:23:08 PM
he is worried about people stealing his internal dimensions.
Are people really concerned with someone stealing their internal dimensions?   I would think that would be easy to do with any material and some silicone if it was something you wanted to know.  I had no idea.

Why, I've even heard of some people getting others to buy a trumpet for them and then cutting them apart to see the internals. I think some have even used x-ray to get the internals. Fact is, there is only so many internals that is going to render turkey sounds. Get too big, nope. Too small, nope!! Most every one can read Tom Turpin's book on how to make a trumpet and then go from there!!