OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Unethical Hunting Show

Started by HogBiologist, September 21, 2014, 06:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BowBendr

Quote from: zeke632 on September 29, 2014, 09:09:36 PMI think a lot of the tv shows could be used against hunters.

That is a very true statement.........

GomerPyle

How about this one....I watched this a while back...had to back it up and video it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXpHAZb9RnU&index=2&list=UU2IqbBXyRwFNL5CJEs9DaZA
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

allaboutshooting

Several years ago, I wrote an article published in Turkey & Turkey Hunting Magazine entitled "The Roar of the Crowd".

That article discussed the fact that we should hunt for our own enjoyment and not the adulation of others. We should not feel pressure to perform or hunt just so we can tell others how well we did or post some picture on a web site.

It's my opinion that the pressure to kill a bird and show it to others causes some hunters to take unethical shots. The same is true of those television hunters, especially those who are trying to make a name for themselves or gain recognition.

The fault also lies on ammo makers or choke makers who place emphasis on over-long shots.

Those of us who know better should vote with our money and not buy products that market in this manner. That will get their attention.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mikejd

Send a letter to the show. Let them know how you feel.

Years ago I was watching a show where a hunter had a kid along with him for a youth hunt. Well as the bird was getting closer, you could hear the gobbling closing in. I hear the fella say to the boy click your safety off. Now there was no bird in sight. For all I know it was a hunter with a gobble call. Not a lesson to be teaching kids, or anyone for that matter.

Well anyway I sent them a letter. If I remember this was before emails. So anyway I got a response. They told me that they did not notice the mistake while editing and that it would be corrected before a re airing.

allaboutshooting

QuoteSend a letter to the show. Let them know how you feel.

Excellent advice. Very few people take the time to write and when producers get those kinds of letters, because there are so few, they get attention.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Gold Spur

I can't stand hunting shows anymore because of all the jerks that are on them.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

870FaceLift

Quote from: allaboutshooting on September 30, 2014, 05:28:54 PM
Several years ago, I wrote an article published in Turkey & Turkey Hunting Magazine entitled "The Roar of the Crowd".

That article discussed the fact that we should hunt for our own enjoyment and not the adulation of others. We should not feel pressure to perform or hunt just so we can tell others how well we did or post some picture on a web site.

It's my opinion that the pressure to kill a bird and show it to others causes some hunters to take unethical shots. The same is true of those television hunters, especially those who are trying to make a name for themselves or gain recognition.

Very true, Clark.  I've been talking to my five year old about this very topic -- that you don't have to harvest a bohemoth like they do on tv to be a successful hunter, and you especially don't have to do so to enjoy what God made us.  There's nothing wrong with "upping your game" to go after trophy animals, but that shouldn't have to be portayed as the expectation.
Pass it on...

trkehunr93

Most of the guys on the hunting shows can't call worth crap anyway!  Only one I can stand to watch is Meateater with Steve Rinella.  He gets it IMO, he's not worried about the headgear or the beard length.  It's about the experience and all the amazing things he can cook from what he kills.  Listened to a podcast he was on and have read some of his articles, he's an interesting guy.

tomstopper

Here is another unethical so called "Blooper" done by Mossy Oak which I posted some time back. Irritates me every time I watch it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UOV0Sm3CH3U

SCGobbler

I will be honest.  I was very disappointed in NWTF a few months ago in Jakes magazine.  The back cover was an advertisement for the new Winchester Extreme long turkey loads.

My son asked me why I made him shoot so close when they made shells that would shoot that far.  That is the very thing we need to avoid in this market.

I am all about killing a turkey.  I am a hunter, and when I pull that trigger and the turkey is dead, you have to have a little remorse in what you have done.  You have to at least feel something if you are human.  I think if you don't feel a little remorse that you have killed God's creations , which we are called to do, you are not hunting for the right reasons.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

SCGobbler

Quote from: tomstopper on October 02, 2014, 12:32:39 PM
Here is another unethical so called "Blooper" done by Mossy Oak which I posted some time back. Irritates me every time I watch it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UOV0Sm3CH3U

That is very disappointing that they made a mockery of that.  I call that a bad shot and something to be corrected, not laugh at.  I can only pray that the post production team found it funny, and the hunters felt awful about that situation.  I am very disappointed in that footage.

And I am a die hard Mossy Oak Enthusiast.
The SC Gobbler

—Archibald Rutledge

SCGobbler

Quote from: trkehunr93 on October 01, 2014, 02:42:19 PM
Most of the guys on the hunting shows can't call worth crap anyway!  Only one I can stand to watch is Meateater with Steve Rinella.  He gets it IMO, he's not worried about the headgear or the beard length.  It's about the experience and all the amazing things he can cook from what he kills.  Listened to a podcast he was on and have read some of his articles, he's an interesting guy.

I have watched a few shows with him and sometimes he just doesn't' shoot anything.
The SC Gobbler

—Archibald Rutledge