Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pattern results from modified SBEII (pics)

Started by turkeytromp, March 19, 2011, 09:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeytromp

Finally I received my gun back from getting some upgrades and tuning and Took it out for the first set of patterning tests thursday 3/17 and the results to me are stunning compaired to last year.
I'm going with Hevi13 3-1/2" 2-1/4 oz #7's this year and will probably stick with this load from hear on out.
I have included a pic of the results after zeroing my new truglo red dot halo turkey scope. I had the scope and rail installed and bore sighted to start with, Trigger job with 3 lb. spring, forcing cone lengthened along with a cream polish of the barrel and polished out action, heavy recoil comfortec spring, 6 oz weight added to front of forearm and a Hevi Shot .668 choke.

40 yards tape measured from end of benched barrel to face of target, 65 degrees slight breeze, Barrel & choke was cleaned after all shots fired. totaling 373 hits in the 10" circle. I also will be testing this at 20 and 30 yards hopefully next weekend when weather permits.

Tom Foolery

WOW!   :z-bdayparty:     :z-guntootsmiley:      :z-winnersmiley:

Who did the work for you?

cannonball

Hognutz

That is a great pattern. Your money was well spent..Well done..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

allaboutshooting

Congratulations. I'd say you're ready for any turkey this spring.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

redleg06

That's impressive man.  I'd say you're ready to roll a few

turkeytromp

Thanks folks, I have been messing with this gun since I purchased it new last spring and I think I am coming to the conclusion of dialing it in to my likings. I did not have any problems killing birds with my last years setup but it's now a totally soft & pleasant shooter that I would never would have believed.
I will post some more of my turkey loads testing at 20-30 yards within the next week or as soon as the weather permits here.

Pictured below is one of my targets that I was using to zero the scope in and this is one of my hand loads that I use only for crow blind hunting and is a  2-3/4 1-1/8oz lead #6's @ 1200FPS 40 yards looked like this...yeh not so much of an even pattern but it got me close to start with the 3-1/2" hevi's and really this load and pattern I would have confidence in killing a turkey out to 40 I do believe.
So I had a feeling the hevi13 3-1/2"#7 turkey loads would be devastating.

yelpy

Looks to me like Rob did a mighty fine job at setting you up.. That set up is on rails.  :fud:                                               :OGani:

turkeytromp

Yes yelpy i'm very pleased with his work. Since my posting last spring I have switched to using indian creek chokes and it throws a little more even pattern than the hevi shot choke,still getting 370-380 in the 10" @ 40

beagler

Never Misses

yelpy

Quote from: turkeytromp on March 18, 2012, 01:57:57 PM
Yes yelpy i'm very pleased with his work. Since my posting last spring I have switched to using indian creek chokes and it throws a little more even pattern than the hevi shot choke,still getting 370-380 in the 10" @ 40

Once the season is over I may have to send mine back to him for some more work. We will see after I shoot it a bit. Thanks.

Ross R

wow   :turkey2:  just curious... what barrel length?

HuntSource

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!