OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Advice on Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia

Started by strut2, August 18, 2014, 11:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strut2

Hey folks. I'm planning a hunt for this upcoming spring to Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia. Any suggestions on what areas to hunt in any of these states? I usually just hunt public ground or knock on some doors to try and get permission to hunt. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

guesswho

I wouldn't hunt West Central Alabama, (Barbour, Russell, Lee and Chambers counties.)   Or Central Georgia, (Johnson, Emanuel, Laurens and Washington counties) .  They take a beating.  Don't know anything about Mississippi. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

strut2

crenshawco

I wouldn't count on having any luck knocking on doors around here. There is plenty of public land that holds birds but it gets hunted VERY hard. It can be a humbling experience hunting public land down here but I've had some very easy hunts as well. They're turkeys, you never know until you go

TheSportsman

There are no turkeys in MS. The migrated to Alabama and Georgia...

Hint- if you do go the MS route, go south.

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

gatrapper

I've always hunted private land in Georgia. Last year I put in for a turkey quota hunt on a WMA. Public ground here is hunted EXTREMELY heavy. I was able to roll a bird, but it was very tough.

South Georgia has a great population of birds. Do you want to public land hunt or an outfitter?
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

J Hook Max

Maybe this isn't what you want to hear but Alabama and Mississippi are overrated. I live in South Alabama and have hunted all over this part of the state and also in South Mississippi for over thirty years. In the past , the hunting was very good in both of these areas. We just have not had real good reproduction over the last several years. Hurricanes back about ten or twelve years ago didn't help in either region. That said , there is still a very huntable population in most areas of both states.  I assume you are wanting to take advantage of the early seasons. That I do understand.
If you choose to come to either state , good turkey hunting land is locked up tight as a drum. Most landowners would let your hunt deer before they would turkeys. The very best places are tied up with outfitters and they are not cheap. They do however , offer some pretty good hunting and most have some very experienced guides.
If you hunt these birds , don't expect them to gobble quite as much as turkeys from farther North. Don't ask me why , it's just the way it is. I have hunted a number of other states and this is my experience.

Gobbler2577

I hunt public ground exclusively here in mississippi and have for years.  Usually a lot of birds but they are really pressured.  You can get lucky and find a really cooperative bird at the start of the season but when you get beyond the first week virtually every bird has been hunted every day.  If you can't come the first few days I'd wait till the last week.  Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strut2

Thanks for all the input.. I look forward to the challenge this spring. I will be hunting all public ground. I understand pressure as Pennsylvania is much the same as what has been described. I would like to kill a bird in every state or as many as possible on public ground. Have quite a few states crossed off my list and looking to add a few more.. Just to be in the woods and working birds is what it's all about. I'm not interested in the guided hunts, if I don't call it in then I'm not shooting.  Thanks to all the folks that gave me advice. I appreciate it!

Cove

All 3 states have very ample turkey populations and public opportunity. I don't know if you have any experience with birds in the southeast but expect them to act "funny" compared to others. Not saying you won't walk in the woods 50 yards and smash one but for the most part they are somewhat different than the easterns of the midwest/ north in my experience. Never will determination pay off more than in the southeast.

USMC0331

In Alabama I would say hunt Talladega National forest. That's where I hunt when I go home to visit family. It's a very large place. Around the horns valley area is good. Not a lot of roads in there which is good because most people are too lazy to walk in this area and there are a lot of birds. Birds answer on roost but tend to get quiet at daybreak. They will come in but are very cautious and I believe it is do to coyotes which I take care of as well. You can't hunt after 12 unless it's on private property.

alclark2

If you can hunt Pennsylvania you can hunt the south. In Indiana we have multiple cars at every public parking area. It's insane. IMO you need to look at large properties away from crowds. Start looking at the dnr/fws pages for the states to find success rates and days hunted per turkey. You identify the top 4-5 properties and narrow down what land to hunt. If you've hunted these crazy birds and know what you're doing you'll be on them. I didn't get a bird my first year I drove to bama. I felt like an idiot. It was just a lack of experience. Went back the next year and took two home. Once you go though.. Just know... It's going to become an annual thing for you. There will be no turning back :)
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

strut2

Thanks for all your help in pointing me in the right direction!! I appreciate everyone's input and advice!!

Oconeeguy

One thing is probably true most anywhere. Get away from the thundering herd (other folks). I use google earth to get ideas for WMA and NWR areas, then scout on foot a few weeks before season. Try this in any state and ill bet you will be OK.