turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looking for a new turkey gun...

Started by rkm456, June 17, 2014, 02:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrophyTracker

I would suggest a Remington Versa Max Sportsman. I have been very impressed with mine. It goes toe to toe with my SBEII.  If you look around you will find some Great deals on them too. I saw one at a Dick's Sporting Goods store for $700 recently.
New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl

howl

That 20" is loud! I went from a 24" to a 20" and could not believe it was the same gun. That was about the time I got some Walker's Game Ears.

If you use a sight that affixes to the barrel, changing the barrels out will not require sighting in over again. The way a 500 is made, the barrel moves around in the receiver. So, if even if you did clamp use a sight mounted on the receiver it'd always be a little off anyhow.

If it were me, I'd just get a 26" and shoot beads.

rkm456

Quote from: howl on June 20, 2014, 03:28:11 PM
That 20" is loud! I went from a 24" to a 20" and could not believe it was the same gun.

So it's not just me? I went from a ported 28inch barrel to the 20 and thought "Wow, this thing has gotten loud." Lol

Snoodsniper

Quote from: rkm456 on June 20, 2014, 03:59:03 PM
Quote from: howl on June 20, 2014, 03:28:11 PM
That 20" is loud! I went from a 24" to a 20" and could not believe it was the same gun.

So it's not just me? I went from a ported 28inch barrel to the 20 and thought "Wow, this thing has gotten loud." Lol
A ported short barrel is even worse. Had to swing around a tree on a bird this year and my ear that was on the tree side was ringing for about 3 days. I love a short barrel but being able to hear is kinda important to me so I'm considering switching back to my 26" barrel.

ltprod

reynolds243

I have a tricked out SBE2 I really like but just ordered a 20 gauge m2 and can't wait to use it

rkm456

Quote from: reynolds243 on June 21, 2014, 09:31:52 AM
I have a tricked out SBE2 I really like but just ordered a 20 gauge m2 and can't wait to use it

As a guy that goes 5'7" and about 155lbs the more I think about a 20 gauge, the more I like the sounds of it, lol. Even a 16 gauge would be a nice compromise, between the 12 and 20, but I digress. Where I am anything that isn't a 12 gauge is tough to get your hands on, and you're usually pretty badly gouged for anything "special order". I also wish more of the factory turkey gun offerings came in 20, but hey, time will tell, and I've got about 11 months to make any sort of decision, lol.

reynolds243

I bought a franchi 20 and used it some last year and it was so nice to carry I decided to go ahead and upgrade to the M2 20

WildTigerTrout

Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

WV Ridge Reaper

I am picking up a m2 12 GA 21 inch tube this coming weekend.I have been lucky enough to hunt with one already..It's really light IMO.

I am a 20 GA guy myself but that m2 12 GA weights less then the 20 GA I have.

I was able to shoulder the m2 20 GA,and let me tell ya that is one fine handling gun..I'll have one in a few years.

I also shoulder the SBE and Vinic both 12 GA.Me personally wouldn't take one turkey hunting.For the fact I'm a smaller guy about the same size as you.They didn't felt me well.

bbcoach

Stick with what you like, a Mossy!  The 835 or 935 would be my suggestion.  See how the POA/POI is with the gun you get then add a Dot sight of some kind if you want or need it.  If you can't handle the recoil of the 3.5's then drop down to the 3's.  Plenty of excellent chokes out there for these two that won't break the bank.  Good Luck with whatever you choose. 

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: outdoors on June 17, 2014, 08:31:57 PM
HAVE U GAVE THIS A THOUGHT

Remington Versa Max Sportsman 12 Gauge 22" Barrel Turkey Camo Mossy Oak Obsession

I FOUND A GOOD DEAL ON ONE AND ORDERED THIS , THERES NOT ALOT OF INFO ON THIS PARTICULAR ONE , BUT WHAT I HAVE FOUND, IT SOUNDS VERY IMPRESSIVE JUST WITH THE STOCK
CHOKE .....     GOOD LUCK ON YOUR CHOICE   :icon_thumright:

I bought one for the kid that lives with me for his High School graduation in May.

It is throwing killing patterns with several shells with the stock choke.

He has over 2k rounds through it this summer without a failure of any kind.

rkm456

Quote from: bbcoach on June 23, 2014, 07:56:59 AM
Stick with what you like, a Mossy!  The 835 or 935 would be my suggestion.  See how the POA/POI is with the gun you get then add a Dot sight of some kind if you want or need it.  If you can't handle the recoil of the 3.5's then drop down to the 3's.  Plenty of excellent chokes out there for these two that won't break the bank.  Good Luck with whatever you choose.

Another option for me is to just get a 24 inch barrel and a burris fastfire for the 500 I currently have. That's not nearly as fun as gun shopping though  :funnyturkey:

natman

Quote from: rkm456 on June 17, 2014, 02:02:25 PM
Ok guys, looking for some input. I've got a Mossberg Flex 500, and I like it. It came with a 28 inch barrel, but this spring I got a 20 inch barrel for it which made carrying it a lot more comfortable in the woods this spring. A 20 inch barrel however being that much closer to the shooter made it ridiculously loud to use as the shooter. The rig also lacks a proper optic. That's a long winded way of saying that I want to get myself a dedicated turkey gun, lol.

I don't quite understand the logic here. You have a 20 inch barrel and a 28. One's  handier the other is not as loud. Pick which one  you like better. Personally, I'd go for the 20 and wear electronic muffs for hearing protection, which you should be doing with either barrel anyway.

The Mossberg flex is D&Ted for scope mounts, get a red dot or mount fiber optic sights on the rib.

Unless of course you just want to buy a new gun, in which case logic goes out the window anyway.  ;D