News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

WV's Low Harvest Numbers

Started by eddie234, June 06, 2014, 11:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddie234

West Virginia Hunters Harvest 9,017 Spring Turkeys in 2014

SOUTH CHARLESTON, W.Va. – Preliminary harvest figures for the 2014 spring gobbler season indicate West Virginia hunters checked in 9,017 bearded turkeys, according to Curtis I. Taylor, chief of Wildlife Resources Section of the Division of Natural Resources. This year's harvest represents a 19 percent decline from the 2013 harvest and a 6 percent departure from the five-year average.

Only District 2 had a harvest increase (up 5 percent) when compared to 2013. All other districts had harvest declines when compared to last year: District 1 (down 20 percent), District 3 (down 28 percent), District 4 (down 17 percent), District 5 (down 27 percent), and District 6 (down 16 percent).

Preston (344) and Mason (297) counties led the state in total harvest. Rounding out the top 10 counties were Jackson (294), Wood (268), Harrison (264), Wyoming (263), Fayette (243), Greenbrier (242), Ritchie (237) and Roane (235).

"In most years, a significant portion of the spring gobbler harvest is composed of 2-year-old birds. Poor wild turkey reproduction in 2012 resulted in fewer birds of this age class available to hunters during the spring season," Taylor said. "According to field reports, hunting pressure also was down from past seasons. This factor likely contributed to the overall harvest decline."

Earlier predictions, which were based in part on measures of wild turkey recruitment and last fall's mast crop, led wildlife biologists to anticipate a lower statewide harvest in 2014, according to Taylor. These forecasts for a lower harvest this spring proved to be accurate.

"Biologists are hopeful this spring will continue to provide moderate-to-average rainfall, support above-average reproduction and allow wild turkey populations to expand," Taylor said.

West Augusta

That explains a lot. I suspected few 2 year olds and this report proves it. 

I'm in District 1 which was down 20%.

This doesn't look good for a fall season here which is set by spring harvest numbers.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

aaron

I have never hunted West Virginia but it baffles me there are only 9,000 birds killed there...so much area to hunt!

Deputy 14

There were plenty of birds where I was but season came in 3 weeks too late as usual.

wvmntnhick

:bike2:
Quote from: aaron on June 06, 2014, 03:42:25 PM
I have never hunted West Virginia but it baffles me there are only 9,000 birds killed there...so much area to hunt!

Depends on where you're at. Most of the eastern panhandle is locked up in agriculture and it's been difficult finding access. It took me 9 years to score a place that wasn't public land. As for the public side of things, the Shannondale area had lots of turkeys in the fall but I've never been lucky enough to hear one in the spring. The Sleepy Creek WMA has plenty of birds but had plenty of hunters as well. Makes for some hard hunting when 3 guys converge on the same bird. Can't count had no public land and is like pulling teeth to try and get in while mineral county has a good tract of public land but it's very tough conditions that most guys won't hunt because they can't drive to it when the gates are locked. The Stonewall and Burnsville Wma' s are great but again, can lead to lots of walking that most fellas don't want to do. Also, in the time I've spent there, turkey hunting hasn't seemed like much of a priority for the locals. I love it there but the ground is steep and deters a lot of other hunters. The ground is available in spots but it's a lot of tough going if you get my drift.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Deputy 14 on June 06, 2014, 04:07:57 PM
There were plenty of birds where I was but season came in 3 weeks too late as usual.

It hit great out here but then I got to hunt a place where no one has turkey hunted in years. Unpressured birds are easy and will come in a hurry when the hens are done.

redmag

It was bad in Hardy and Jefferson Co. where I hunt.  In Jefferson I heard 3 birds one morning that seemed to me like they were talking to each other and I know that 2 of them got together.  In Hardy (public ground) I heard some birds but they were not interested.  Some of those that were killed here in (Hardy) were of questionable means.  I managed 1 bird this year after hunting in VA and then WV til the end of the season.  Somme days I didn't even hear a bird.

West Augusta

Aaron, West Virginia isn't a highly populated state.  Much of the land is posted and like many other states, most hunters are into deer hunting.  Turkey hunting isn't nearly as popular.  I'm thankful for that.  Most of the state is also very steep and rocky.
This is the farm where I killed my turkey this year.  You best be in shape to get to the top.

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

deadbuck

What is the spring limit in W. Virginia?

KYFrid

Quote from: West Augusta on June 06, 2014, 06:49:03 PM
Aaron, West Virginia isn't a highly populated state.  Much of the land is posted and like many other states, most hunters are into deer hunting.  Turkey hunting isn't nearly as popular.  I'm thankful for that.  Most of the state is also very steep and rocky.
This is the farm where I killed my turkey this year.  You best be in shape to get to the top.

this.  And I to love that it isn't as popular.   2 bird limit here  deadbuck 

West Augusta

Yep. 2 bearded turkeys in the spring and one turkey in the fall if there is an open season in the county you plan on hunting.
The fall season will be determined during the summer after analyzing the spring harvest.

ltprod

My brother lives in w v
I also love stonewall but bring your darn hiking boots and be in shape

West Augusta

Stonewall is a beautiful lake. They say the hunting isn't bad there.  I need to check it out.

HartClemson99

The last time I hunted WV was in 2000.  I killed a bird opening day in Lewis County and one the last day in Lincoln County.  I hope the population increases as I'm due for a return trip!
"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion" Tom Kelly, The Tenth Legion, 1973

Bigspurs68

I hunted Tyler and Marshall counties. Had a great time every day that I went except one. I think a bunch of hunters gave up too early in the day and too early in the season. There were guys that usually do very well that just weren't hearing birds hardly at all tho.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"