OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Those of you that hunt many states each spring

Started by Bigspurs68, June 04, 2014, 05:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-Shaped

Hard to beat being a firefighter if you like to deer or turkey hunt. I'm not one, but one of my good friends/hunting partners is, and now that he's pretty tenured, he can work his vacation in such a way that he's basically off the entire spring with only taking a few days worth of vacation. He also pulls a lot of shifts as trade for other guys that don't hunt during the off season. Basically working a lot of extra shifts in the summer when he could care less about being off.

Regardless of what you do, proper planning and discipline is key. Plan well in advance and be flexible on your options. There are a lot of hunts that can be done of the cheap with a little forethought and homework. Also, try to find a hunting partner(s) that share your desires and hunt to your style, and it really makes thing nice. Not only does it help in sharing the costs, but you can help each other to be successful.

Bigspurs68

Every hunt I go on is done with much forethought and research. We get it done as cheap as possible. When I say "we" I mean my wife, kids and me. They go where I go. We always hunt public land and always do well. I would just like to be able to hunt a couple more states every spring than what I go now. As far as going on a trip with a buddy, it's just not often in the cards.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

TRKYHTR

Physical Therapist. I try to hunt 3 states a year and at least 1 new state each year.
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

J-Shaped

Quote from: Bigspurs68 on June 04, 2014, 11:32:56 PM
When I say "we" I mean my wife, kids and me. They go where I go. We always hunt public land and always do well.

That's great that you can enjoy those trips with family. Even better.

DC1.

I work from 2pm till 11pm at a manufacturing plant to pay the bills but, have a lawn service on the side to pay for my turkey hunting. I also have a very understanding wife and son that help out with the lawn service while i'm gone.   :fud:

TxLongspur

Landscape contractor .. I hunt 8-9 states a year ..

Gamblinman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

ChiefBubba

Chief Engineer on a Tugboat I work week on week off. Spend most if my time in Florida chasing public land birds. Will save a week for an out of state hunt. This year I went to Texas but normally go to South Carolina to hunt the family farm. Chief

turkeyfoot

I don't make a fortune single family income but I do cut back through year on things and I live pretty simple you won't see me eating out spending tons of cash at Outback or other high priced eateries I grill my steak at home drive an old Ford truck not having a vehicle payment is money in my pocket every month by this I'm able to hunt some nice places because that is what I enjoy  hunting turkeys

J. Adams

I make/sell threads for hunting, spring is our slower time, and I like seeing new countryside.

BigGobbler

Semi retired down to one job as a Drinking water plant operator. My second job was my play money so I had to cut back on the out of state trips some but I do 4 day weekends all through the Florida season. Most of them are with other members of OldGobbler.

hunter22

Retired. I try to hunt 4 or 5 states each year but only hunted 2 this spring. A new grandson changed some plans.

mudhen

The short answer? 

None of your business  ;D

But, that wouldn't be nice, so I redact the above statement.

I get 3 weeks vacation, holidays, and comp days for working weekends.

I hunted Iowa for deer this year, and hunted 8 days, traveled 2 days, and used a total of 4 vacation days.

I don't drink or smoke, have no kids, have no fancy trucks or RV's, no boats, no ski skis, etc.

I own a small house with a combined gas/electric bill of $50 per month.

I travel for work, and we get to keep our miles, so I use those miles for other trips.

I rent cheap cars, and eat cheap crap while hunting.

I have a list of 270 public spots in Kansas, and I have not needed 269 of them since I started hunting Kansas in 1998.

I treat myself to self-guided private land spring turkey hunts because I can, and because they tend to be productive without using up all of my vacation time chasing birds on public land.

I've already cut back for various reasons, 4 states this year, but I'll try to travel for spring turkeys as long as possible.

It's all a matter of personal choice, and this is how I choose to spend my cabbage these days...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

steinea286

This is a very interesting topic. I am wetland ecologist in Buffalo, NY and work 7am-4pm Monday-Friday. You think it basically gives me weekends to hunt, but if I can roost a bird, I have been able to get it done before a 30 min drive to work!

I have never turkey hunted other states although it is my absolute dream. I accrue 2.25 hours a week and between deer hunting, turkeys and last years snow days...it is very difficult for me to save up the time to take off....I have a grand slam in my future though!

Charley B

Self employed, i run my own tile laying business.