OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which gun to prep for next year?

Started by FLINT, June 03, 2014, 03:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLINT

Hi all.  So, I'm getting hooked on turkey hunting, and just wanted some advice on which gun to try and make into my turkey gun.

Here are the options.

1.  10ga.  I have an old Stevens 10 ga, that I have been using.  It has a fixed full choke, so doesn't pattern super awesome, and its kick is just brutal.  If I were to use this gun, I would put on a limbsaver, add weight to the stock, and have the barrel threaded for choke tubes.  Though, not sure if its worth putting all that work into the old beast.  If I wanted to stick with the big 10, maybe it would make more sense to buy a new H&R turkey pardner - as those are already threaded and drilled and tapped for sights, and camo, and 35 years newer. 

2.  12ga. 

A.  I have a Stevens model 67E slug gun - that was my deer gun when I was young.  It has a 21" smoothbore barrel with cylinder or improved fixed choke.  its already drilled and tapped, and I already have a red dot scope on it and it shoots slugs pretty darn good.  I also have already put on a limbsaver pad on it and painted it green and black last year.  I could have it threaded for chokes and make it a combo deer / turkey gun maybe.  The barrel does not remove, but Sumtoy said he could still cut threads in it for a choke. 

B.  My cousin has an 870 express 3" that he left at my parents house years and years ago.  it has the standard 28" vent rib barrel with remchokes.  He probably only shot it like 5 times ever, but its sat and has surface rust, and there are some strange brown stains inside the barrel and choke which don't quite look like rust, but must be, so if I were to "borrow" this gun, it would probably need a new barrel. 

3.  20 ga.  I don't currently have a 20 ga. but have been thinking about picking up a 20 ga pump to make into a turkey / grouse gun.  So for this option, I would be starting completely from scratch and buying a new gun.  but it could be cool.  Actually, thinking about it, I do have an oldish imported FIE 20 ga break action, but not sure that is a good candidate. 

so, let me know if you think one of these options stands out as the best / most logical choice.  I know its probably all a matter of taste / choice / etc.  but its good to get input. 

I'm attaching a picture of my 10 and 12ga

Lukas929

I'd personally turn that Stevens into my turkey gun. I prefer a shorter barrel because of my style hunting plus it's already got a red dot (which I prefer), and I like the way it looks:). I have a feeling most guys would tell you to use the 870 and it might just need a good cleaning. But if it were to need a new barrel you're looking at about $200 give or take and that is halfway to buying a brand new shotgun or about $50 dollars away from buying a used in good shape 870. So it all depends on how much money you are willing to spend. That is my opinion.

P.s. Before you get it threaded I would try to shoot winchesters longbeard xrs from it an see what kind of patterns you get.

DirtNap647

Snoodsniper

I have the bottom gun with a 28" barrel. Matter of fact it was my first shotgun. Haven't shot it in years. It ain't pretty..not even a little bit. That said it's a decent gun. If I had to I'd wack the barrel off to 20-22",thread it, pattern it and go hunt in'. About the time you go buy chokes for the 870 someone will come looking for it. Invest in the ones you own it's your best option. Hey maybe you can buy the 870 for a song. I picked mine up for 150 bucks.

RAY

Hunting with a 10 ga is like lugging around a sewer pipe. Since the slug gun is a tack driver, then take it deer hunting it in November. Grab that 870, get some 3" Hevishot and a good turkey choke for it and have fun spray painting it!

BowBendr

Quote from: RAY on June 03, 2014, 09:48:12 PM
Hunting with a 10 ga is like lugging around a sewer pipe. Since the slug gun is a tack driver, then take it deer hunting it in November. Grab that 870, get some 3" Hevishot and a good turkey choke for it and have fun spray painting it!

X2...I'd take the 870, polish the barrel, spray paint and grab some good shells and have an instant turkey killer !!  :icon_thumright:

jim570

Use the 870.  Polish the barrel. Get a TruGlo SSX .643 choke.  They are very resonably priced.  Use HeviShot 3" #7 shot.  I have this same setup.  It is a killer.

tomstopper

Another vote for the 870. You might be able to just find a shorter barrel for it as well....

Lukas929

I don't know how anyone turkey hunts with a 28" barrel, also got to factor in the turkey choke 1" minimum. The ssx extends 2" and 7/16 that's almost 30.5" of barrel!! My 22" barrel still gets me angry an wishing it was shorter yet most times. Their is no right or wrong just personal preference but that's a huge deal breaker for me.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: Lukas929 on June 03, 2014, 11:40:24 PM
I don't know how anyone turkey hunts with a 28" barrel, also got to factor in the turkey choke 1" minimum. The ssx extends 2" and 7/16 that's almost 30.5" of barrel!! My 22" barrel still gets me angry an wishing it was shorter yet most times. Their is no right or wrong just personal preference but that's a huge deal breaker for me.
When I started turkey hunting as a teenager the 30" fixed full choke was the norm for many serious turkey hunters. Screw in chokes were many years down the road at that time. Most 28" barrels were choked modified. If you wanted full choke you bought it with the long barrel or you did'nt buy it. Back to the original question, the Rem 870 IMO is the best of the lot to make into a turkey specific shotgun.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

FLINT

Thanks guys,

You've at least helped me narrow it down to the 12 gauge options only.  makes sense. 

I'm going down to my parents house this weekend.  I'll take another look at the 870 and see what the funk in the barrel looks like.  I'm worried that the choke is rusted/siezed into the barrel - so if it needs a new barrel, that would be more expense probably than threading the other gun - but I'll look at it and see what it looks like.  Also, the other concern is that he will randomly show up some year and ask for his guns, although he might not even remember that we have them.  I think we've had them since the late 90s.  I guess I could just ask him. 

RemingtonRules

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on June 04, 2014, 09:46:08 AM
When I started turkey hunting as a teenager the 30" fixed full choke was the norm for many serious turkey hunters. Screw in chokes were many years down the road at that time. Most 28" barrels were choked modified. If you wanted full choke you bought it with the long barrel or you did'nt buy it. Back to the original question, the Rem 870 IMO is the best of the lot to make into a turkey specific shotgun.

Cotton clothing was used as well, but would you not agree things have pogressed beyond what was done when you were a teenager?  Do you make your kids walk to school barefooted uphill both ways?

budtripp

Quote from: RemingtonRules on June 04, 2014, 11:55:33 AM
Quote from: WildTigerTrout on June 04, 2014, 09:46:08 AM

I did it for about 10 years or so. A 28" 11-87 plus an extended choke. Nary a problem

Cotton clothing was used as well, but would you not agree things have pogressed beyond what was done when you were a teenager?  Do you make your kids walk to school barefooted uphill both ways?

Umm...Don't most hunters these days still wear cotton camo in the spring? Lol

Lukas929

Cotton clothing: jeans and flannel. Their is a reason why modern day turkey specific off the shelf shotguns have shorter than normal barrels and that is because it's what the majority of consumers want. Sure longer barrels can still kill a turkey but that extra 10" does  NOTHING for me other than make it harder to maneuver through the woods and make it heavier.

Lukas929

Btw wildtigertrout shoots a 24" barrel and budtrips dream gun is one with a 23" barrel, taken from their previous posts.

Trust me it makes a difference when your putting on miles if that is how you hunt. Also your looking at about $150 minimum for red dot if that's what you want on the 870 and another $25 for sling mounts if you want to put them on....the Stevens already has them installed. If money isn't a big deal then I'd rather customize the 870 as well, but for practicality of what is rightfully yours an not borrowed the Stevens is a no brainer for me.