OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey eggs?

Started by Lukas929, June 03, 2014, 02:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikejd

If it makes you feel any better some of those hens will 're lay a clutch of eggs.
turkeys are actually a remarkable bird. Hens are able to  re inseminate themselves
In order to lay more eggs. When turkeys mate the hen stors seemen from the male turkey
in the event that her eggs are lost due to p redetation, weather, etc.
So in your case hopefully it is early enough in the nesting season that some will 're lay.

By no means am I condoning this BS as ok. Im just trying to give some hope on a crappy situation

steinea286

Wow, that is absolutely pathetic. Definitely turkey....

dirtnap

Ride to SC and look at what the USFS is doing in the Francis Marion Forest.  They were doing prescribed burns last week on large acreages of known turkey habitat.  They have been doing it for years.  They are burning these blocks with a helicopter.  There is no way for a small poult to survive this.

Vabirddog

Guys those look like goose eggs to me. ( certainly hope so) Wild Turkey eggs are larger than chicken and the taper from one end to the other is much more pronounced making the egg look sharper than other eggs. As was said turkey eggs are usually speckled brown but habitat will determine that some. Most goose eggs are lighter color and rounded much more that t eggs. fwiw

HogBiologist

I hope not to upset any of you with this response....... but....

Turkeys love to nest in native grass type habitat.  This type of habitat needs to be burnt on a 3 year average.  Burning the grasses reduces competition and sets back succession to allow for the NWSG habitat to continue.  Most agencies that manage for NWSG have blocks that can be burned on a rotational basis that allows for some fields to be burnt while others are successive years post burn.  This means that while in block that gets burnt, turkey nests perish, the nests and poults from other sections are able to better take advantage of the excellent habitat created in the adjacent burn unit.  There are limitations to burning ability where governmental agencies are concerned.  Man power, other obligations, acceptable burning days, etc.  Also, burning at different times of year will give you a different plant community response.  As mentioned before, turkeys will re-nest after their nests are destroyed.  That is an amazing thing about nature.  Another thing to consider is the fact that the habitat that is created through the burn (though is destroys nest attempt #1) may be excellent habitat for the poults born in nest attempt #2.  I would not be so quick to throw the agency folks under the bus.  I don't know what their reasons were, but I don't believe they just went out willy nilly burning and not thinking about turkey nests and fawns.  Instead of getting a severe case of butt hurt over a few nests being burnt up, try asking the people who did the burns why they chose those parameters to burn. Also, look at the benefits and see if they actually out weigh the negatives of the few nests lost.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

TurkeyScratch

Quote from: Vabirddog on June 04, 2014, 11:16:41 PM
Guys those look like goose eggs to me. ( certainly hope so) Wild Turkey eggs are larger than chicken and the taper from one end to the other is much more pronounced making the egg look sharper than other eggs. As was said turkey eggs are usually speckled brown but habitat will determine that some. Most goose eggs are lighter color and rounded much more that t eggs. fwiw

Looks like goose eggs to me also.

mikejd

Quote from: HogBiologist on June 04, 2014, 11:25:12 PM

Turkeys love to nest in native grass type habitat.  This type of habitat needs to be burnt on a 3 year average.  Burning the grasses reduces competition and sets back succession to allow for the NWSG habitat to continue.  Most agencies that manage for NWSG have blocks that can be burned on a rotational basis that allows for some fields to be burnt while others are successive years post burn.  This means that while in block that gets burnt, turkey nests perish, the nests and poults from other sections are able to better take advantage of the excellent habitat created in the adjacent burn unit.  There are limitations to burning ability where governmental agencies are concerned.  Man power, other obligations, acceptable burning days, etc.  Also, burning at different times of year will give you a different plant community response.  As mentioned before, turkeys will re-nest after their nests are destroyed.  That is an amazing thing about nature.  Another thing to consider is the fact that the habitat that is created through the burn (though is destroys nest attempt #1) may be excellent habitat for the poults born in nest attempt #2.  I would not be so quick to throw the agency folks under the bus.  I don't know what their reasons were, but I don't believe they just went out willy nilly burning and not thinking about turkey nests and fawns.  Instead of getting a severe case of butt hurt over a few nests being burnt up, try asking the people who did the burns why they chose those parameters to burn. Also, look at the benefits and see if they actually out weigh the negatives of the few nests lost.

Thank you for the educated response. Very good points as well.

mudhen

Quote from: HogBiologist on June 04, 2014, 11:25:12 PM

I am no biologist for sure, but the reply above has been given to me by many people who farm, hunt, and manage land in Kansas.  Many swear by the burns, and said the turkey population thrives wherever they burn.

I'm betting the net gain exceeds the occasional lost nest....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

bigdoc

Yes turkey eggs and you and your hunting buddys need to pitch a fit. Thats TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!

Lukas929

After discussing this with my buddy who is a farmer we have considered they may be duck eggs, this burn took place on high ground in waist high prairie grass. The area had been flooded a few weeks prior which attracted many waterfowl. Also he said how he had a mallard who had a nest in one of his hay fields 1/2 mile from the nearest source of water. The eggs were not speckled from what I could tell and they were about the size of a chicken egg.

My other buddy who works for the Montana Conservation Corps had this to say...

They are probably targeting a specific invasive plant  left un-burned the entire area over grown no longer waterfowl habitat. Also good to burn now because native plants are germinating and risk of out of control burn is very low. If they leave it those eggs would get eaten by predators or the hatchlings wouldn't make it out of the duff layer.  Nature isn't always pretty.

HogBiologist

Ok guys, nothing to see here. You can all go home now. The witch hunt is over and the DNR didn't do anything wrong.

PS, this is what I pictured in my head as I read through this post yesterday.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Lukas929

Haha, well it still was not a pretty sight to see walking around in it. And a few other eggs I think still may have been turkey but you can't just assume because they are from the dnr that they are always right, I think we all know that to be false.

Dtrkyman

Saw a controlled burn on state land in Indy last couple days of there turkey season!!!   Morons!!!  lots of things nesting that time of year!!! :TrainWreck1:

busta biggun

I agree with burning, but the timing needs to be carefully managed. In some instances, there are inept people running this process and at times extremely overzealous. We were hunting a lake a few years ago and my buddies were in a field when they noticed they had ignited that field. They had to pack up their blind and get out before the flames got to them. They thought perhaps the "burners" did not know they were there but when they got back to their truck they noticed that they had sprayed down the grass around their truck to keep it from burning! I am sure there are many knowledgeable people running these programs, but not always!

firstflight111

Geese nest are all ready done .most of the Time it real close to water .

Sent from my C811 4G

CUPPED AND COMMITTED