News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Weatherby sa-08 shooting low

Started by Red Huck, May 27, 2014, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Huck

Quote from: The Cohutta Strutter on June 06, 2014, 06:48:13 PM
Nice, both of those patterns/shot sizes would wreck one!
Thank you, but I'm not completely satisfied. Think I shot a touch Hi on the 6 with my improvised sight. It looked to be a more even spread than the seven. Thought about polishing the barrel but I don't think that's recommend for chrome lined barrels .Tried to call Weatherby to find out a few details abut the gun but they are not open on Friday .Need some more fed hw 7s. May try hevi-13 .This is getting expensive for a couple pounds.

Sandfly

Before i would do anything else i would take gun. shells and choke to William, he won't let you leave there without it performing like you want it to perform. Take your time and he will get it working. I've taken 4 guns there and had poor results out of 2 the first couple time's i shot them, (both guns brand new) however William took the choke back in the shop worked on it, shot some more, worked on it, shot it and BOOM! I'm not sure where you are for Red, but i would head to Glennville!

Red Huck

Only about a 10hr round trip to Glennville .But a may end up going that way. Ordered Williams adjustable sight. Bought another choke and some heav-13 to try. Talked to Weatherby about another barrel.

savduck

Quote from: Red Huck on June 08, 2014, 09:41:11 AM
Quote from: The Cohutta Strutter on June 06, 2014, 06:48:13 PM
Nice, both of those patterns/shot sizes would wreck one!
Thank you, but I'm not completely satisfied. Think I shot a touch Hi on the 6 with my improvised sight. It looked to be a more even spread than the seven. Thought about polishing the barrel but I don't think that's recommend for chrome lined barrels .Tried to call Weatherby to find out a few details abut the gun but they are not open on Friday .Need some more fed hw 7s. May try hevi-13 .This is getting expensive for a couple pounds.

The 140 pattern with 6s was impressive but the numbers your getting with the 7s is way underperforming for that gun. Again, i know of at least 8 set up with the sum toy and fed 7s and every one of them averages 150 or higher. The highest I've ever shot with the fed 6s was 121. Every gun is different though, you may have just gotten that one that bucks the system.

That barrel is chrome lined so you dont want to polish it. Have you tried cleaning with pure alcohol, not rubbing alcohol. You would be very surprised what sticks in the inside of the gun barrel. Rem oil, clp, etc isnt gonna get it all out.

Did you ever find you a saddle mount?
Georgia Boy

Red Huck

Just deep cleaned the barrel like Clark Buss recommended on his site. I was surprised at all the debris in the barrel. Didn't find a saddle mount but ordered the Williams adjustable sight , came in today. If I could duplicate that pattern with the 6's and  get it sighted in that would be great. It looks like I'm going to have to order 7S if I going to shoot anymore of them this summer though.

savduck

I was asking because I don't think I really have a use for my saddle mount any more. Ill have to look for it, but I was gonna offer it to you if you wanted it.
Georgia Boy

Red Huck

Quote from: savduck on June 11, 2014, 04:45:20 PM
I was asking because I don't think I really have a use for my saddle mount any more. Ill have to look for it, but I was gonna offer it to you if you wanted it.
Thanks, I put the Williams sight on it yesterday. Looks to be adequate for what I need. Now I'm debating going to shoot the shells I have or ordering some. All I have left are 6s. Hate to pay The $15-16 for shipping. Have not looked at Dick's yet.