OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stories and pictures- Kansas 2014

Started by Grant Flaming, May 19, 2014, 04:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Flaming

Well, as of 9:30 this morning my 2014 turkey season is over here in Kansas. I got set up on some roosted birds in the morning, but that didn't work out so I waited a while and moved to the corner of a pasture near a patch of thick stuff. When I heard a faint gobble back in the trees, I gave a searching yelp and heard more gobbling. Sounded like that darn group of jakes. After a while though, I heard what sounded like a mature gobble getting closer and finally break into the field on the other side of the hedge. When he popped out on my side, he didn't see a hen like he was supposed to and walked off over the hill in search of it. I ran and stuck a hen deke out in front of me and got on the box call again. Eventually, he came walking back over the hill and, after a LONG conversation, he finally came into range. I stopped him at 20 yards.

Also included are pics of my bird from two weeks ago. I set up on roosted turkeys but waited to call till they were on the ground. They gobbled themselves sore up and down a fence row with their hens, but wouldn't come over. I wasn't worried. Then new I was around. At about 9:00 I got up and sat down against a pile of square bales, made myself a blind, and stuck a hen out in front of me in the green wheat. I saw two toms working their way across a distant field by themselves, but they walked off into a patch of thick trees. After waking up from a nap at about 10:00 (those bales were COMFY), I heard a gobble back in the trees. When I called, he answered so I shut up. He eventually got to me, but strutted up and down on the other side of the hedge and eventually walked off. However, the other two toms were back in the other field and wondering the big dude was strutting around about. With a few cutts and yelps, they came trotting. By scratching leaves and clucking and purring I was finally able to get the bigger bird to cautiously step through the hedge and into the field. As I slowly went to shoulder the gun, I heard the bird about 7 yards to my left putt. The bird in front of me turned to leave, but he rolled at 15 steps.

I really had to work for my birds this year, but it was one of "funnest" seasons I have had yet. I wouldn't trade those hunts for anything! I hunted a few new properties, heard plenty of gobbles, and got my heart racing plenty often. Thanks for all the helpful advice and knowledge everybody provides here on the forum!

Grant Flaming

Not sure why the color is whack. Whatever haha

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

tomstopper

Snoodsniper

Nice job. I may be heading your way for a hunt next spring. A friend of mine is setting up a 3 day hunt for next April. God willing I will be there.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

beagler

Never Misses

DirtNap647

captin_hook

turkey harvester

TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.