turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stuck Choke help!

Started by jblackburn, May 12, 2014, 10:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlakeJ

Soak it for a few days in penetrating oil, immediately take it to the range and put a box of cheap shells through it as fast as you possibly can. Bring a rubber mallet and strap wrench with you and see if she'll wink. If that doesn't work, it's gunsmith time.

FullChoke

Any good penetrating oil soaking will definitely help, but the real trick is to tap the choke tube with a hammer while putting it in tension by unscrewing it with a pipe wrench. The hammering part will help break the hold between the barrel and the tube directly by jarring it with the help of the oil and the wrench. You will likely lose the choke tube, but if it comes loose without much trouble, it may be salvageable. Make sure that the threads of all choke tubes you install are cleaned with a wire brush and given a light coating of a choke grease.

Keep us in the loop on what you are able to accomplish with this problem.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Jbird22

All the advice I could give has been given. Hopefully, the Kroil can get in there and do what it does. Tapping with the rubber mallet (dead blow would be nice) should help as well. It's just one of those things that you'll have to be patient with. Good luck getting it out!

As far as why chokes get like that, I don't know why folks let that happen. I personally use a dab of breach plug grease on all of mine. I feel like if it'll keep a breach plug from locking up it'll surely work on a choke tube.

On the flip side of your story, a few years ago I went turkey hunting with a buddy and I brought along an extra turkey choke as I felt pretty sure he didn't have one. Well, we get to camp and I go to remove his choke and realize he didn't have one in there at all! I asked and he said he didn't even realize he needed one. Maybe he thought it had a fixed choke??? I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Anyway, right off the bat you can imagine the fouling in the threads. To my surprise they didn't appear to be damaged but I had to do some serious cleaning to get the choke to screw in. It still to this day is a tight fit. I'm assuming the heat from high volume shooting may have caused the barrel to constrict when it cooled down. When our trip was over I did take it home and properly clean it but it's still a snug fit to say the least. I installed a spare modified choke in it and told him not to remove it under any circumstance without replacing it with another. Hopefully, the tight fit is ok and won't do any damage to the barrel. Maybe it will re-heat and conform to its normal size again..lol

Selluwud

Sounds like the similar metals have "galled" together and will require excessive force to detach. I found this link on a google search, maybe it will help.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=360441

I have had stainless steel nuts and bolts become galled and nothing short of a cutting torch could undo them.
5/4ths of people don't understand fractions

stone road turkey calls

Quote from: Snoodsniper on May 13, 2014, 08:52:13 AM
I've had this problem also. Soaked mine in diesel fuel for at least a month before it came out. I just stuck the end in a can of it about 3-4 inches deep. Prop in a corner and check it once a week til it comes out. Kroil or blaster would do the same thing I'm sure. A black powder guy showed me this when I bought a flintlock with a stuck breech plug. It will come out if you're patient.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

:z-winnersmiley:
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

jblackburn

Quote from: JBIRD22 on May 13, 2014, 10:24:05 AM

As far as why chokes get like that, I don't know why folks let that happen. I personally use a dab of breach plug grease on all of mine. I feel like if it'll keep a breach plug from locking up it'll surely work on a choke tube.

JBIRD22, I don't get it either, especially as cared for as the gun seems.  It takes 30 seconds to remove a choke and give it a wipe down with oil or grease.  I've hunted with the same 835 since the late 90s.  It has been to hell and back turkey hunting with me and I have never had a tube require more that a little extra "umph" with the factory tube wrench. 
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

alloutdoors

Had this happen once with a waterfowl choke that we went out for one last late season hunt and forgot to take out and clean the tube afterward. Went to take it out before the following turkey season and it locked up tight about half way out. Not sure if you can get hold of enough of the choke, but what I finally did was locked it down in a heavy bench vise and then spun the barrel off it. The end of the choke ended up square but it came out.

Skeeterbait

Now there's a good idea.  Put the choke in a vice and spin the barrel.  That will give you a good two fisted grip.  :icon_thumright:

RemingtonRules

d.winsor

Did you ever free up the stuck choke?

mikejd

Do you have the original wrench for Winchoke. The choke itself has 2 holes that it fits into.

Marc

• Try soaking it in brake fluid or some other really anti-corrosive fluid. 
  • Try putting it in the freezer.
  • Heat it as hot as possible without causing damage (blow torch), and then cool it really quickly.
    • Or try some combination of the above.

Here are a couple threads from a water fowling forum discussing stuck tubes:
http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=966218&highlight=stuck+choke+tube
http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=922654&highlight=stuck+choke+tube

Interesting info on a tool that might work (with a cheaper version discussed as well):
http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=956653
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

jblackburn

Quote from: mikejd on May 25, 2014, 09:42:09 PM
Do you have the original wrench for Winchoke. The choke itself has 2 holes that it fits into.

Bought one, thought I was going to break it.

It is currently in Kroil, and will be until June 6 when I stop traveling. Kroil seems to be sucking rust out, so hopefully...
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

mikejd

Quote from: jblackburn on May 26, 2014, 10:55:51 AM
Quote from: mikejd on May 25, 2014, 09:42:09 PM

Bought one, thought I was going to break it.

It is currently in Kroil, and will be until June 6 when I stop traveling. Kroil seems to be sucking rust out, so hopefully...

good luck.

zelmo1

Kroil is my go to penetrating oil. Lots of good ideas here. If and when you get it out, make sure you clean the threads and check them for damage. This will help the problem from happening again. Good Luck.