turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Short or long box?

Started by 34NY, May 09, 2014, 05:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

34NY

Hey guys, I'm new to the sport and looking at buying a spring creek box call.  Is there any difference between a short and long box?

DirtNap647

short fits better in the vest

sixbird

You're on the right track with Spring Creek. Mike is a great call maker and a great guy. If you ask, he'll spend time educating you about long vs. short. The long box will give greater range of sound and carry farther. The short box will also sound great but will have slightly less range of sound. It will, like the previous poster said, fit in your vest better (not high on my priority list). Give Mikes' sassafras over butternut long box a try. You'd be hard pressed to find a sweeter sounding call than that in my opinion. :gobble:

Ozark Ridge Runner

I like the long boxes but they are a bit more of a challenge to carry.

Marc

I am trying to get educated on this myself...

Long Box verses short box verses single sided box calls?

So:
Long boxes have more range in sound and a louder call?
Short box  has two sides for versatility and easier to carry in the vest?
Single sided box has a bit higher pitch and some say better cutts and purrs with the finger groves?

It seems to me that among most turkey hunters that the short or standard box is the most popular, with the single sided box taking second, and the long box being the least popular?

I hunt Rio's, and have noticed that the hens tend to be higher pitched than most standard factory calls...  I tend to favor higher pitched calls with lots of rasp.  My inexpensive Lynch call sounds horrible to me as a high pitched overly raspy/squeaky call, but I am constantly amazed at how it is the call that gets a response when nothing else does.

Is a long box easier to cut or purr on?  Are there actually general differences in pitch and tone between all of these calls?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

34NY

I ordered a bloodwood over poplar longbox from Mike at Spring Creek a couple days ago.  He got back to me very quickly and explained all the differences.  He was very helpful.  I might only get to use it a couple times since its getting late in the month but better late than never.  Can't wait!

callmakerman

If I had to pick from the three types of boxes listed for me it would be hands down a long box.

paboxcall

Quote from: callmakerman on May 12, 2014, 08:58:10 PM
If I had to pick from the three types of boxes listed for me it would be hands down a long box.

:agreed:

Can't beat the versatility of a long box.  That said, I have a glued all walnut short box that I would never part with...love me a box call. 

:funnyturkey:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

wisconsinteacher

I have one of Mike's long boxes and LOVE it.  I killed a bird the other night with it.  It was really windy and the long box cut the wind and got him to gobble.  30 mins later, he was mine.  I have a butternut with padauk lid. 

nitro

I carry and hunt with a Paddle call. Never leave the rig without one.

Steve Mann is my choice for longboxes. I carry mine in one of Niles Oesterle's leather call holsters. I don't have any challenges carrying it while hunting.

Paddle calls are the heat - buy a good one and learn how to run it.

Good Luck!!
Royal Slam 2008

hunter22

Hard to beat the versatility of a good longbox. I recently hunted in Oklahoma and used a Chuck Anderson red cedar over butternut lb and the birds responded well to it. The longboxes seem to penetrate the wind better. On one setup I could see the birds at a distance. I ran three different calls at them and when I hit the longbox I got an immediate gobble. They acted as if they did not hear the other two calls.

34NY

I just got my bloodwood over poplar long box from Mike at Spring Creek. Its all turkey man, all turkey.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

34NY

They must hear this thing from a mile away.  I can also tone it down great, and already get the different sounds and pitches I want.  The cutting on this box is for real.  Very versatile.  I'm pumped to take it out Saturday.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Spring Creek Calls

Pleased to hear you like it. Hope it helps you this spring and many more!
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com