OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Recommended mouth calls for a beginner.

Started by ohiomossyoak, May 07, 2014, 03:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiomossyoak

What makes and models mouth calls are easier to start with for a beginner.How many reed and/ or what cut style/type? Recommend lesson cd,mp3 or dvds?

Swyped while swerving via mobile device
"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)
"General Patton"=Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag/24in ported barrel in  woodland camo

troutfisher13111

Go to YouTube and search for Scott Ellis turkey calling. Best info I have seen.

jblackburn

Mouth call magic is a good one.  Also, Mouth Call Mechanics Hooks/Shane Simpson is good.  There are some good ones one youtube as well.  From your post, I don't know if you mean a beginner to mouth calls or beginner to turkey hunting, but either way, check out Tree Top Turkeys, it is a cd of real turkeys.  I bought it last year (been hunting for 15 years) and it is one of the best things I have done.

As far as the call itself, 2 reed calls can be a good place to start.  Gooserbat Classic Hen and PLS are easy to blow calls that can also talk turkey very well.  3 reeds can take a little more air to get going, but it's not impossible to learn on one.  Gooserbat's Bacon is a very easy to use 3 reed that makes good turkey sounds.

Obviously, I'm partial to Gooserbat, but there are a lot of great call makers out there, and several here on OG.  Yes, you can go to any Walmart and get cheaper calls, but the small/custom call guys build better calls.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

ohiomossyoak

Quote from: jblackburn on May 08, 2014, 12:50:07 PM
Mouth call magic is a good one.  Also, Mouth Call Mechanics Hooks/Shane Simpson is good.  There are some good ones one youtube as well.  From your post, I don't know if you mean a beginner to mouth calls or beginner to turkey hunting, but either way, check out Tree Top Turkeys, it is a cd of real turkeys.  I bought it last year (been hunting for 15 years) and it is one of the best things I have done.

As far as the call itself, 2 reed calls can be a good place to start.  Gooserbat Classic Hen and PLS are easy to blow calls that can also talk turkey very well.  3 reeds can take a little more air to get going, but it's not impossible to learn on one.  Gooserbat's Bacon is a very easy to use 3 reed that makes good turkey sounds.

Obviously, I'm partial to Gooserbat, but there are a lot of great call makers out there, and several here on OG.  Yes, you can go to any Walmart and get cheaper calls, but the small/custom call guys build better calls.
Gooserbat is top of my list.Thanks for the reply
"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)
"General Patton"=Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag/24in ported barrel in  woodland camo

Marc

I find that the Raspy Old Hen from H.S. Strut is an easy call to blow, and a cheap call to learn on.

Easy to yelp on, and not too bad for cutting, and if you want to try and take on purring it is not a difficult call to purr on...

Wing Supply has this call cheap:

http://www.wingsupply.com/turkey-deals/hunters-specialties-premium-flex-turkey-diaphragm-kit-2-pack/
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

REBELYELL

Houndstooth Tom Bomb black is easy to blow and sounds as good as any of them and better than most.

Houndstooth Game Calls

The tom bomb is the bomb when it comes to learning to use a mouthcall!

sixbird

I've been through LOTS of mouth calls...Just threw away some today. Hard to beat a Woodhaven Classic V2. Very easy to use. Great yelps, cuts and clucks...And durable...That's my vote  :z-twocents:

Gooserbat

I highly recommend  the Gooserbat Classic Hen.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

troutfisher13111

Like already said, try either the Gooserbat "classic hen" or Houndstooth "tom bomb". I have recently acquired both and they run very easily. The classic hen is more of a clean sound without rasp, the tom bomb has a high front end and raspy back. I would get both and have some variance.

Houndstooth Game Calls

Devastator

Hooks Custom Calls,give scott a call!!!!

COssman14

Gooserbat Classic hen or PLS, I called in 9 different toms with the Gooserbat Bacon this year. In my opinion you can't go wrong with anything Gooserbat but there are plenty of other makers out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

troutfisher13111

The Bacon has been my go to this year. Great call!

Rick Howard

I'm still learning but, am proficient enough to call the dumb ones.  I like Zinks z-yelper for easy yelps, clucks, purs, and kee.  I started with the HS raspy old hen which, to me, is nearly identical in function as the z-yelper (personally I like the sound of the zink better).  I also think the yellow zink with the reeds set back is pretty easy to run.  I don't recall the name though, sorry.  I have yet to try any non production mouth calls.  I have tried about 40 production calls.  I'm pretty in experienced in turkey calling all together.