Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Got it done in Missouri with Longbeard XR's and Indian Creek Black Diamond!!

Started by cmerun, May 05, 2014, 10:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmerun

Decided to accept a late season invite to head up to some prime ground in North Missouri and I'm glad I did!!

I was dropped off on a 1400 acre farm before daylight with no real idea as to where the birds were roosted due to us getting into town late the night before.  I knew it was going to be tough this time of year for one...but having to wait until they were gobbling on the roost could be a bad move if i couldn't get into position before daylight.  It didn't take long (about 5:15am) before they started hammering on the roost...and I honestly couldn't tell you how many started firing up that morning...seemed like every tree had a bird in it. 

I decided to make a move on the closest group which was about 400yds away in a hidden field...luckly i found a good game trail that led through the woods straight for them but by the time I got to the field I saw 3 longbeards fly into the field on the other side!! (about 100yds away) I was stuck!! I had no choice but to slowly get to the ground and crawl to the closest tree and see what I could make of this situation. 
After some soft calling and about 10 minutes of them hammering at about every noise in the woods I realized they were skirting me to the right and actually heading in the direction I came from.  Once they hit the same tree line I was sitting on I jumped up and eased back the way I came to see them easing across the same field I was dropped off in...they were long gone with no interest in anything in my direction.....DANG!!!  Was my morning over??!!  Not even close...

By this time the gobbling on the farm had slowed down tremendously but I knew there were tons of birds in the area so it was a no brainer to get back into my first position and sit tight until I had another group located...then try to make a move on them.  Well after about 25 minutes of being patient and taking the time to listen I heard one fire off straight in front of me about 300yds across the same small field deep into some timber...they sounded like they were in a deep draw and I could tell there was more than one bird in there and one sounded like a jake.  I decided to head straight for them and upon walking to the tree line I see there is an old ATV trail that led into the block of timber they were in....nice...looked like a good trail that would take me in their direction and if i were a betting man I would be they were working this trail deep in this draw.  After probably 20 minutes or more of soft calling as I ease down this trail I finally crawl within what seems to be about 75yds of them..they were fired up and were cutting me off almost every time I let out a soft yelp or cut.  By this time i had figured out that there were 2 jakes and a longbeard and had hoped that my calling was enough to let them know I was close but not coming any closer and it was there move...so i just shut up....and waited them out.  While sitting there locked N loaded and ready for them to ease up this trail I heard a gobble in the distance (about 300+yds) over my left shoulder...it was only one gobble and i simply thought to myself...*well if this goes to crap at least i know where another bird is located to try to make a move*  I didn't think anything else about it and held my ground...time to sit tight and see what these dudes were about to do...and then it finally happened...here they come...

They couldn't take it anymore...next thing i knew I had the two jakes out in front of the longbeard and they were easing up to me...I had no shot at the longbeard...he was protected with the jakes in front of him and he started easing into some thick stuff just on the left side of the trail...DANG IT!!  He was at 40yds and there was no chance of me making an ethical shot.   Was this freaking hunt about to go in the dumps??!!  Well thats what I thought to myself until all of the sudden....GOBBLE!!!!!!!!!!  Right to my left at about 25 yds... 3 mature longbeards had snuck up from behind me and had about made me crap my pants! I had no idea they were there and the only thing i could think of is they were the birds that I heard gobble in the distance about 20-30 minutes earlier over my left shoulder.  Once they came in and hammered they actually moved right up toward the two jakes and single tom and ran them off.  (Now keep in mind I couldn't see the 3 toms that snuck in on me...I could only hear the 3 of them hammering to my left and moving down in front of me)

Once I saw the jakes and tom take off out of there I knew these newcomers were about to show themselves in this trail....and they did....the lead bird stepped out and looked like he had a paintbrush swinging from his chest.  BOOOOOM!!!

After flattening this bird the two other longbeards step out over him and continued to gobble for about 10-15 seconds...they were fired up.  I had to stand up and walk towards them to run them off.  I was jacked.

I can't speak highly enough about the new Winchester Longbeard XR shells that came out this year. (3.5"#6's)  Those suckers paired with my Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike choke....game over.  At 31 steps those shells picked that bird off the ground and slammed him.  I was very very impressed and based on the patterns I'm getting I have complete confidence out to 60 yards easy. 

Keep in mind if anyone is interested in hunting North Missouri feel free to hit me up and I can pass you along to the right people.  You will not be disappointed.

Elite E35 - Solid broadheads - Ghostmaker Calls - DSD Decoys

alclark2

Nice pics and story. LBs are great with the IC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

learn2hide

Well done...turkey numbers are recovering in MO from being down a few years ago...still some pockets of lots of birds and a few places with few but it's still one of the best places in the world to chase a gobbler.  Congrats.    :welcomeOG:
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

ncturkey

I know what you will be eating soon. Fried Turkey Breast and fried Mushrooms. Yum Yum! Congrats.

beagler

Never Misses

Rokhal07

tomstopper

COssman14

Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

cmerun

Thanks guys! Was a fun hunt and am already excited to go back next year.  Looking like we will be heading to KS, MO, NE,FL and hunting here in AR next year.  Going to be an exciting 2015 season!!
Elite E35 - Solid broadheads - Ghostmaker Calls - DSD Decoys

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Tail Feathers

You weren't kidding about the paintbrush!
Congrats on a great hunt.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!