OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mag Blend Question

Started by IowaGobblers, May 05, 2014, 08:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IowaGobblers

Has anyone cut open or have data on the percentages each shot size makes up in the shell? Is it an equal blend of each shot or more #7's than #5's etc. Also has there ever been any problems with inconsistent blends?
Thanks for your time.

deadbuck

When they were introduced the marketing info said 1/3 of each size shot. Have never cut one open but have watched several toms die while using them.

SCDieselDawg

I've cut one open but didn't count the pellets. I did find that the pellets varied in size and shape to such a degree that it wouldn't be an accurate count. The larger pellets were shaped like footballs. While some pellets seemed to be pressed together. The craziest thing is the Flax seeds. They use flax seeds as a filler/buffer.

WildSpur

Look up my posts.   A few years ago I opened one up and have pictures.

I know for the 3.5" shell I get in the 220 ' s @40 which is close to the #6 guys are getting.  You do get faster speed with the blends though. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

allaboutshooting

Quote from: IowaGobblers on May 05, 2014, 08:36:33 AM
Has anyone cut open or have data on the percentages each shot size makes up in the shell? Is it an equal blend of each shot or more #7's than #5's etc. Also has there ever been any problems with inconsistent blends?
Thanks for your time.

I understand that it's an equal mix. It's a very popular shell and I've heard nothing but good things about its ability to kill turkeys in the woods and fields.

I shoot them when I'm evaluating a new choke or shotgun or pattering a gun for a reader. They do pack a wallop!

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

IowaGobblers

Thanks for all of the input. I have also heard that the wad changed and the new shells aren't getting the same numbers as the old ones. Has anyone found this to be true?
Thanks

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: IowaGobblers on May 05, 2014, 12:08:39 PM
Thanks for all of the input. I have also heard that the wad changed and the new shells aren't getting the same numbers as the old ones. Has anyone found this to be true?
Thanks

Yes..... The older the H13 you can find, the better.

Old Gobbler

It's a high quality shell -- it's more a less a over the counter version of the nitro triplex  shell , but the magblends are available everywhere and easy to obtain - also a better price -- I think they are more effective than the h13 loads cause they shoot faster , some people who shot nitro triplex switched to magblends

I've shot both nitros and the magblends , the magblends have more bigger size pellets in the mix than the nitros have , on my limited experience 

With the introduction of more high quality premium turkey shells and recently the magblends I hardly see as much interest into nitros as there was years in the past
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Old Gobbler on May 05, 2014, 10:02:19 PM
It's a high quality shell -- it's more a less a over the counter version of the nitro triplex  shell , but the magblends are available everywhere and easy to obtain - also a better price -- I think they are more effective than the h13 loads cause they shoot faster , some people who shot nitro triplex switched to magblends

I've shot both nitros and the magblends , the magblends have more bigger size pellets in the mix than the nitros have , on my limited experience 

With the introduction of more high quality premium turkey shells and recently the magblends I hardly see as much interest into nitros as there was years in the past

Magblend will never compare to nitros, especially with the decrease in performance most have experiences with the 2014 batch of shells.

They're a good shell.  They're cheaper.  But that's about it.

taylorjones20

I've shot both magblends and nitros...  Still have a couple of magblends laying around that I'll probably never shoot because I'm a Nitro fan...  Haven't ever seen anything else compare to them...
Alive only by the Grace Of God