OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Indentation in dirt

Started by srmturk, May 01, 2014, 10:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srmturk

I am aware of spots that Toms go to strut in the dirt but I saw something the other day that baffled me. It was a spot in the dirt that was depressed or indented.  Almost like a spot where something would sit and drum or beat wings   There was a turkey track in it and around it. Do they sit in a spot and do something like drum or whatever?

Tatr

Could have been a dusting spot.

whitemarlin

srmturk

That's what I was wondering.  Would they use it consistently or is it a one off kind of thing?

Skeeterbait

If it is loose dry dusty dirt it is a dusting bowl, often used by several turkeys, hens most often.  As long as it is in an area they want to be anyway they will continue to use it.

srmturk

Thank you. Looked again today and there are a few near each other with small turkey feathers in them

Mason Dixon

"I make note every season of where they are located. Where a hen dusts...there is sure to be a Gobbler around. Have had good success with this intel....."
1) Ithaca M37: aftermkt. pistol grip stock; full choke 30"; Deerslayer cylinder bore
2) Benelli M1 Super 90: cylinder bore defense barrel
3) Benelli Super Nova: Steady Grip stock; assorted Carlson's chokes; Indian Creek; Primos Jelly Head
4) Hand made wing bones; boxes; pots and strikers; diaphrams; wing flappers

tomstopper

I agree with everyone above. More than likely its a dusting bowl....

srmturk

No doubt now    went back this morning and there's now a total of probably 8   tracks and feathers in them.  The number keeps increasing.  I've read they likely dust midday    got to believe gobblers won't be too far away   man it's got me stoked.