Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Browning Maxus All Purpose 26 inch/IC 665/Longbeard 3 1/2 20 yards

Started by The preacherman, May 01, 2014, 03:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The preacherman

I finally had a chance to try out the Winchester Longbeards.  I didn't take a pic of the 40 yard shot but it held up great.  Now, I have to get out there and whack one!

ericjames

learn2hide

shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

The preacherman

Real world test this morning.  I shot this gobbler at 56 yards with the Winchester Longbeard #5 with the 3 1/2 inch shell.  I didn't think the shot was that far.  I didn't have time to range him as the two hens with him were getting real nervous.  I ranged him after the shot.  He was in a corn stubble field following two hens and I am aimed at the waddles. He absolutely dropped like a rock.

When I was dressing him out I plucked his feathers in the chest area and skinned out his neck to see the shot pattern on the bird.  I wished I would have taken pics so you could see.  He had 5 hits in the head, 11 in the neck, 6 in the waddles, and his chest from the breast bone up was peppered. 

The Indian Creek choke and Longbeard combination really did a great job.

CrustyRusty

My maxus is the best patterning gun I've ever owned, but that's a long shot.  Congrats on the bird.

zelmo1

:OGturkeyhead: I had a similar experience   with the Longbeard XR #5's. 52 yards and stoned. I shoot the older version of your gun, Browning Gold 3.5, with a Code Black Patternmaster choke tube. I did skin the bird and there were 43 pellets/ holes from the breast bone up to the eye. Never had a bird go down without a twitch, even at 20 yards. I will shoot this gun and choke/ammo until I check out or they stop making it. This is an awesome load for turkeys, IMHO.

tomstopper

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

lowoctane

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life