turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Nitro Ammo update

Started by Huntaholic, April 26, 2014, 07:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huntaholic

In some of the other threads it was discussed about nitro changing loads and how some liked the old better, etc.. Well I posted in those threads that if you would contact them with them info on what you needed that they would load whatever you wanted. I did that and had Ray load me some stuff that I last shot in 2004. Shipping was very fast considering its turkey season, and I patterned it today. My pellet counts are now back up to well over 300 with the "old loads" with my 870 SM and a 660 rhino. The bad news is my 11/87 SM  with a 660 rhino prefers the "new loads". LOL its all good though, Ive got enough of both to do me for a while, I just gotta remember to not use the wrong shells in the wrong gun!

Ridge Rooster

That's good to know, I need to order another box of 25 and I want the same as the last box.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

DirtNap647

been wanting to try some nitros

taylorjones20

What was different in the new loads and the ones from 2004?  Did he say why they changed?  I guess what I'm asking is what did you have to ask for to get the old kind? lol
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Huntaholic

Im not real sure what the differences are, she checked the records and found what they shipped me in 2004 and had Ray load it for me. It was H51013, the new stuff is H51013A. I did cut one of each open though. New stuff has a different charge weight, cheddite hull, and no felt was under the shot charge. Old stuff is a federal hull and primer, felt wad under the shot charge, and different charge weight.

Grunt-N-Gobble

Ya can't get the 12 gauge Fed hulls these days.   All of their supply is going toward their own ammo and a federal contract I believe, so no extra to the loaders.

If Ray still has Fed hulls, he must have bought thousands and thousands of them before they became unavailable.  Smart move on his part.

Huntaholic

Im all but certain these are federal hulls and federal primers. Ive noticed with the chedditte hulls that after a few cyclings through the chamber and not firing them, the case rims get bent and distorted, the federals dont do that. Those dang cheddites nearly costed me a merriams last year due to the rim getting distorted. Didnt know it til I TRIED to pull the trigger on a longbeard at 25 yards, but the action wasnt fully closed. I had to let them walk off, field stripped my gun, reassembled it, slammed the pump into battery, then eased up to the edge of the field and called him back within range and killed him.

Grunt-N-Gobble

Quote from: Huntaholic on May 03, 2014, 02:00:52 PM
Im all but certain these are federal hulls and federal primers. Ive noticed with the chedditte hulls that after a few cyclings through the chamber and not firing them, the case rims get bent and distorted, the federals dont do that. Those dang cheddites nearly costed me a merriams last year due to the rim getting distorted.
Oh........ I don't doubt you in the least.  All I'm saying is that they aren't available for purchase anymore for hand loading.  At least for awhile........

TNTRKYHunter

I agree with Huntaholic. I have an older 870SM and when I started using the nitros I shot the H51013 and they patterned great and they were federal hulls. Now, I have to shoot the H51013A and they do not compare at all, I also have experienced the problems with the brass after loading and unloading my gun. So, Is still possible to call them and ask if they could load an older version of the H51013.

Huntaholic

YES! Just give them a call and tell them you want the OLD H51013 circa 2004. Any good reloader keeps a journal and notes, Im sure Ray is no exception and has the data. In fact, if you ordered direct from them, a nice lady named Jonell went back and found my info and gave it to Ray so he could load me some.

TNTRKYHunter

Quote from: Huntaholic on May 06, 2014, 03:42:45 PM
YES! Just give them a call and tell them you want the OLD H51013 circa 2004. Any good reloader keeps a journal and notes, Im sure Ray is no exception and has the data. In fact, if you ordered direct from them, a nice lady named Jonell went back and found my info and gave it to Ray so he could load me some.
Thanks Huntaholic! I will call them this week. My gun really liked that older version.

taylorjones20

I got some MH517 from him this year and they were the Federal Hulls, I think.  At least they looked identical to every federal hull I've ever seen.  They were the Mega Weight shells.  The regular shells I got from him this year were the light red colored hulls...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

J-Shaped

This is a really interesting thread. I too started shooting the H51013 load around 2003. My patterns didn't significantly change/worsen when they went to the H51013A, and my gun no longer has issues ejecting them. Matter of fact, the one time I did pattern them and count holes, the patterns were basically identical. I used to have a lot of trouble with the H51013 sticking after the shot, and I could barely get the pump back to eject the spent shell. I've had none of those issues since they switched to the H51013A. FWIW, this is in a Browning BPS, not an 870SM like some of you are running.

Thanks for passing this information along. It is good to know the Ray will do the old load if you want it.

Old Gobbler

I've shot the nitro h20213 for over a decade ,and ran box after box in my sp10 it's always consistent - I've never had a problem - I killed dozens of gobblers with it -- it's one of my all time favorites

The 3 ounce load I don't shoot anymore , it doesn't shoot any tighter than the h210 , and the 3 ounce is too heavy of a kicker for my liking - it's hard to get the nitros at times -- the availability of a consistent supply of components is killing everyone

I shoot many loads ,I like the nitros and they were perhaps the finest high premium turkey load 20 years ago , they enjoyed a good popularity boost when they started to make shells out of environmetals hevishot material a decade or so ago , since then hevi shot woke up and started loading their own nitro version " magblends" and they are very easy to get , high performance , and affordable -- since the introduction of the magblends , and several other ammo companies producing as good or even better offerings , I just don't see the interest into nitros product like there was 5-8 years ago -- back to hevishot / environmetal shells ....they are just plain great shooting turkey shells hit hard , shoot tight -- easily available everywhere

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon