turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Man its tough

Started by harvester, March 16, 2011, 05:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harvester

Its tough around trying to get hunting permission around here. Everybody has had bad experiences with people and don't want anybody on their land. Just talked to guy that owns 550 acres and nobody has hunted it in alot of years. Didn't seem to interested in letting me hunt but I at least offered to do work for him in exchange to hunt. Maybe he will call me back and say yes. He did say that he may trade some electrical work for a hunting season.   :jesus-cross: :begging:

unclerick

Dustin it is like that here to, most landowners have been burned by hunters who trash their place with junk, cut fences for 4 wheelers, shoot livestock, tear up fields etc. etc. I bet I asked 50 people to hunt before I got a yes and the landowners that have given me and Wes permission, I make a point to take care of by picking up my trash with other trash and like you we offer to do some work for permission as a thank you.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

ElkTurkMan

GA is the same way unfortunately.  Growing up in Iowa, it was nothing to go knock on a farmers doors, and you could get access.  Sadly those days are long gone.  It's a shame a few folks ruin it for the masses!     

harvester

I was able to get a hold of one of the guys we used to rent a farm from and he told me he didn't let anybody hunt except for one person. A family member and he didn't sound to happy about that. Must be on the wifes side.  :TooFunny: Gonna try a talk to another feller that use to let me hunt and still should be able to hunt it, just need to go and see him. Talked to another guy also this evening and the same story but he did say if he let anybody hunt I would have first dibs. Got one more chance to hunt this one particular area that I am very interested in so gonna give it try. My niece is real good friends with his son and maybe that will help out.  :z-guntootsmiley:

Ricochet

Yeah, you've got to know people but I have never tried knocking on doors asking for permission.  I just ask people I know or friends of friends...etc.  I finally landed on an awesome place last year (someone my sister knows - it helps that she is a family doctor in a semi-small town) and I also have 1 other place that is good but I always seem to have bad timing there...that is connection is via our kids.  Then there is my grandpa's place - it's a small farm with an occasional turkey but I rarely hunt there because the turkey  population is not good (going to give it a try again next month).  These places are back in GA and I hope to find some places like that in SC sooner or later...till then I'm paying into a hunt club not far from my house here.
-JP
Is it turkey season yet? I love the sound of thunder chickens in the morning...

gob09

shawn does MN have private property rights

mfd1027

Our hunting club in Ga. has 9 members and runs us each rt. at 1200.00.   We have 1200 acres.    Opening wk. end there will be 6 of us hunting which is not bad but the birds tend to congregate in certain parts of the lease so we sometimes wind up with guys working the same bird.    :z-paddy-smiley113:
Dan

harvester

Quote from: mfd1027 on March 17, 2011, 08:55:16 PM
Our hunting club in Ga. has 9 members and runs us each rt. at 1200.00.   We have 1200 acres.    Opening wk. end there will be 6 of us hunting which is not bad but the birds tend to congregate in certain parts of the lease so we sometimes wind up with guys working the same bird.    :z-paddy-smiley113:

Just have to call better than the other guy.  :z-guntootsmiley:

Ricochet

It's $1,000 for the year with 29 members on nearly 3,000 acres. However, it appears there is only 3 serious turkey hunters (including me) and those 2 killed gobblers already. So, it's my turn now. ;) This Saturday might have some of the other boys show up to give it a try - we shall see.
-JP
Is it turkey season yet? I love the sound of thunder chickens in the morning...

harvester

Found some more large tracts of land so gonna give it another try. Just maybe I can get an OK. :z-guntootsmiley:

unclerick

Quote from: moore on March 18, 2011, 08:54:29 AM
Quote from: gob09 on March 17, 2011, 08:26:36 PM
shawn does MN have private property rights
what do you mean wess,I guess I dont understand what that is.you just have to ask the owner if it's ok or not to hunt their property.
Shawn I think what Wes is asking is that some states the landowners don't have the right to hunt their own property.

harvester

Finally go permission to hunt the land we use to lease for farming. I talked to the owners son and he said he heard 4 yesterday morning behind their house. Things are looking up.  :z-guntootsmiley:

mfd1027

This is great news Dustin.   You've worked hard on this and it just shows if you keep trying you can still gain access to private property.    WTG!!!   
Dan

unclerick

Man, Dustin that is cool, WTG on getting permission.

gob09

awesome land gain dustin