Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Remington 870 youth 20 ga advice with chokes and shot

Started by nhfisherman, April 25, 2014, 07:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nhfisherman

I have a 20 ga rem youth 870. I have read much on here but still have a few questions.
I'd like to find a choke with a nice pattern.
Does the tru glo SSX work with heavy shot or tungsten load? Like federal mag- shok heavyweights?
Is it worth it to spend that kind of money on shells?
This is for my kids. Is this choke and load a good one for them?
Is there a better setup for this gun?
Can you use the SSX with federals given it's ported?
Can the tightwad choke be used with federals mag- shok heavyweights? Curious about the flight control wad issue.

I think right now I have a primes tight wad and shoot Winchester dbl x. It's ok. I've seen way better patterns on here from guys setups.

Thanks for any advice.

Meatseeker

Every gun is a little different.  But I have had great success out of my son's Rem 870 20 ga with the Truglo SSX and Hevi-shot Magnum Blend.  Here is a picture of typical pattern from this gun/choke/load comination.  I have not had good luck with the Federal FC wads in the SSX choke.  However, I have only shot the lead loads.  I have not tried patterning the Fed HD #7's yet.  But I will try that soon.

remmy1187

The Federal HWT is a very good load from the 20 gauge, one of the better factory loads out there.  You can shoot the the 20 gauge flight control loads through the ssx or the titewad chokes.  A lot of guys on here are getting great patterns with the ssx and the Fed HWt.  They are a bit pricey, but in my opinion worth it.  I would recommend getting them in 7's

Bigfoot

i am using a tightwad 570 with my 870 youth shotgun. Averaging about 137 pellets at 40 yards in a 10 inch circle with fed #7  heavyweight shot.  I tried a Carlsons 575 choke to but,  the tightwad shot a slighly better pattern.  Also, got the tightwad on ebay for 11 bucks. 

walk20

i am shooting the youth 20 with truglo choke fed hwy 7s

lakeplainshunter

What was the pellet count on the 40 yard pattern?  It looks pretty good to me.

walk20

goblr77

How old are your kids and what are their shooting abilities? An SSX with 3" HW 7s throws a REALLY tight pattern. There's not much margin for error. I started my 7 year old daughter out with 2.75" HW 7s through a factory full choke in a Weatherby SA-08. She could handle the recoil from this and the pattern would hold up to 30 yards. She killed a bird with it last year. I added a Burris FF3 this year and it helped her aim tremendously. It enabled me to tighten the choke up some and squeeze a few extra yards from the load. I'm running a .582 HS undertaker in it now. I haven't counted numbers but it throws a nice even hunting pattern at 30-35 yards. An SSX with 3" HW 7s will stretch the range out a lot but the super tight pattern, along with the recoil from the 3" load, just isn't good for a child IMO.

1iagobblergetter

I've had Goodluck with the Primos Tightwad choke and H 13 #7s. I also had good patterns with the Fed Hvy #7s but better with H 13s. Haven't tried any other choke load combos with this gun. Don't need to but I might try a Sumtoy just to see what it can do sometime.

BowBendr

With the HW 7's, my gun didn't like the ssx at all. It does really well with the Trulock choke and shoots the Carlsons great too, but it likes to be ultra-clean between shots.

I believe when my little girl starts hunting with it next year, i'm going with the Remington super full and the 2.75" Federal 7's and be done with it, the others will be too tight for a youth with little experience.