OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Snake Boots - Again

Started by FL-Boss, April 23, 2014, 12:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL-Boss

I know this topics comes up every once in a while... and I have read a lot of info. But products constantly change and I wanted to see what snake boots everyone likes today? 

I have had 3 pairs of Rocky snake boots in the last 2 years... they all ripped, leaked or had seam issues within wearing them 7 times.  They are worthless junk.  I'm sick that I can't find a decent pair that will last and most importantly.. not leak (I'm in Florida - always walking around water)   

At this point, I don't care how expensive the boots are.. I just want a pair that will last. Any thoughts?

Gummi Bear

I'm wearing some Chippewa boots.

While they are not waterproof, a liberal application of Sno-Seal has made the leather reasonably water repellant. The Chips are pretty robust, and hold up to the rock, thorns and cactus here in Texas pretty well.

If you need waterproof, look at the Muck offering, but they will likely rip and tear as well

Now that I think about it, Chippewa offers a waterproof boot. It is one of the few in their lineup that is not made in USA (apparently the process to make them waterproof is not approved by our EPA). Chippewa is a Justin Boots brand, so any western store can get them for you.

I'm getting too old to still be this dumb - DM

jblackburn

I got a pair of Muck Woody Armours this year.  Rattlesnakes in some of the area's I hunt, but it's been cool, so I don't think they're out much, yet.  Seem pretty tough, but I'd rather not have a real test . . .
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

J-Shaped

I continue to hear good things about the Lacrosse Alpha Mud Lite snake boots. I've yet to own a pair of lace up snake boots that don't leak and have gotten to where I wear my Lacrosse Alpha Burly Sport rubber boots for the majority of my hunting anyway, unless I'm in hill country. As soon as this pair wears out I may try the Mud Lites.

cwb04

I am on my 4th year in a pair of $80.00 (caught them on sale) Red Head snake boots (Bass Pro Shop) and have no complaints.   I hunt MS and spend a lot of time in water and have no leak problems yet.  The only time my feet get wet is when I walk a long ways in thick, lush food plots, pipeline, or utility right-of-ways, but my Rockys were just as bad if not worse.  I don't think anything except rubber boots will keep your feet dry in that scenario.  I have been through 2 pairs of Rocky snake boots and for the money I believe I'll stick with the Red Head.

FL-Boss

thanks for the feedback.  The redhead boots seem to get bad reviews... but then again they can't be worse than Rocky boots. I may try a pair of them because they have some with the side zip that I like...

Charley B

After 15 days of hunt in Florida and Georgia, I can't complaint about the Red head RTC snake boots.  I used plenty of sno-seal on them, and aqua seal on some stitches.  The won't leak, but after a long walk in water, the tongue, where the laces are thight on the upper feet will become lightly damp.  But not a single drop inside the boots.
Took a little time to break, but overall, I can't complaint about this boot.

VGJ5

Quote from: jblackburn on April 23, 2014, 12:57:47 PM
I got a pair of Muck Woody Armour this year.  Rattlesnakes in some of the area's I hunt, but it's been cool, so I don't think they're out much, yet.  Seem pretty tough, but I'd rather not have a real test . . .

I have to agree with this one.  I bought them a few years back and love them.  They're all rubber, so they can handle the intense mud/water where I hunt. They're easy to get on and off (due to the seems), which seems to allow for a better fit on my wide feet.

My only complaint would be that the seams on the back of the ankle came loose during this past deer season, but that was really due to me leaving them in the back of my truck wet during a freeze, and I use them about as hard as person could use any hunting boot.  I looked into the seam issue online, and Muck Boots recommended Aquaseal.  That got them right back to original condition.  The seams are really what make them so darn comfortable (and the ease of getting them on and off), so I can't complain about that.

A common criticism I've seen on this particular model is that they're a bit hot for turkey season.  I wear them all year long for deer and turkey season (in lower Alabama).  I have noticed the warmth factor on particularly hot days, but it hasn't really bothered me.  Apparently, Muck has taken these comments to heart and I believe discontinued this model for the new Muck Boots Woody Armor Cool.  If I ever wear these out (doesn't seem likely) or need something cooler, I'll definitely grab a pair of those.

- Gaines
"Turkey hunting is a series of instant tactical decisions that are invariably irreversible."
- Colonel Tom Kelly

jblackburn

Quote from: VGJ5 on April 23, 2014, 05:10:56 PM
Quote from: jblackburn on April 23, 2014, 12:57:47 PM
I got a pair of Muck Woody Armour this year.  Rattlesnakes in some of the area's I hunt, but it's been cool, so I don't think they're out much, yet.  Seem pretty tough, but I'd rather not have a real test . . .

I have to agree with this one.  I bought them a few years back and love them.  They're all rubber, so they can handle the intense mud/water where I hunt. They're easy to get on and off (due to the seems), which seems to allow for a better fit on my wide feet.

My only complaint would be that the seams on the back of the ankle came loose during this past deer season, but that was really due to me leaving them in the back of my truck wet during a freeze, and I use them about as hard as person could use any hunting boot.  I looked into the seam issue online, and Muck Boots recommended Aquaseal.  That got them right back to original condition.  The seams are really what make them so darn comfortable (and the ease of getting them on and off), so I can't complain about that.

A common criticism I've seen on this particular model is that they're a bit hot for turkey season.  I wear them all year long for deer and turkey season (in lower Alabama).  I have noticed the warmth factor on particularly hot days, but it hasn't really bothered me.  Apparently, Muck has taken these comments to heart and I believe discontinued this model for the new Muck Boots Woody Armor Cool.  If I ever wear these out (doesn't seem likely) or need something cooler, I'll definitely grab a pair of those.

- Gaines

They are warm, that's for sure!  I wear UnderArmor Cool Gear Socks with them and it helps a lot.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

cphill

I went to a shoe store last Thursday that handles seconds and used shoes they had probably20 pairs of Rocky snake boots there and I couldn't help but look and the all looked new or just barely used and all of them were between30 and 50 dollars so I got a pair of the Rocky pro lite for 35 dollars wore them all weekend. So far very comfortable and waterproof but hey for that price I couldn't pass them up

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

I hate turkeys

"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

Snoodsniper

Man if I hunted where you guys do I'd be bitten in an hour. Not many poisonous critters here in PA. Thank goodness

CASH

Still wearing my faithful Rocky boots that are 6 years old.  They haven't been waterproof for the past 2 years, but are too comfortable not to wear.  If I need waterproof, I wear my Muck Woody Armor
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

TnRidgeRunner

In my experience, they all leak...I mainly wear em cause the make a dandy striker holder so I don't have to keep up with em. If you want waterproof I say go with regular ole Muck boots...but they won't stop a cottonmouth.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Irish setter came out with a new pair this year that look pretty impressive.