OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many pellets?

Started by DranDran, April 20, 2014, 07:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DranDran

I patterned my shotgun today with 7 different loads. Winchester mark 5 magnum #4 shot, winchester super x turkey loads #5, Remington express long range #6, winchester #6 game loads, federal duck and pheasant #6, some unknown brand loaded with 1 oz of #6 and sears Ted Williamson xtra range #6. I got as little as 10 pellets in the head/neck and as many as 31, how many pellets are acceptable to kill? All shots were taken from 35 +- yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddie234

The accepted standard is 100+ in a 10inch. If that's only out to 30 yards then your set up is only a 30 yard gun. If you can get out to 40 yards with that set up then your good to go.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

DranDran

Quote from: eddie234 on April 20, 2014, 07:57:07 PM
The accepted standard is 100+ in a 10inch. If that's only out to 30 yards then your set up is only a 30 yard gun. If you can get out to 40 yards with that set up then your good to go.

I'll take the one that had the most hits in the head/neck and put a 10in circle on some cardboard and see how it does. I was using the hunters specialties turkey head targets if that makes a difference. My shotgun seems to do best with #6 lead as far as I can see

eddie234

Use that 10 inch circle and find where you have the most pellets. Your poa may be different than your poi.

DranDran

Drew a 10 in circle on all of the targets. The results are:
Remington express long range #6-175 pellets
Winchester #6 game load-86
Sears Ted Williams game loads #6-120
Unknown 1 oz #6-74
Mark 5 magnums #4-95
Super X turkey #5-shot101
Federal duck & pheasant #6-108

surehuntsalot

4-5 pellets in the vital area on a turkey target will take any bird that walks
need to shoot at different distances to see what your max range would be
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

DranDran

Quote from: surehuntsalot on April 21, 2014, 07:51:00 PM
4-5 pellets in the vital area on a turkey target will take any bird that walks
need to shoot at different distances to see what your max range would be
All shots were roughly 35 yards and I shot the patterns in the same way I'd be shooting in the field. In this case sitting

jblackburn

I'd say go with the Rem Express 6's, those are high brass shells and will have plenty of power at your 35 yards.  Make sure you can either judge the 35 yards in the woods or step off/range objects at your set up.

Good luck, aim true and let us know how it goes!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

learn2hide

if you drew the 10" circles in your densest spot on the paper then those Rem Express #6's are your ticket...good luck hunting   :turkey2:
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!