turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

If you were going to mount a bird

Started by KYHeadhunter02, April 17, 2014, 10:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYHeadhunter02

How big would he be? An eastern bird. I have several deer on the wall and have wanted a bird mounted for a while. I have wacked some respectible birds, but no dinosaurs yet. So 1 1/4 spurs, 1.5, 1 3/4 which is a booner of a bird. I don't want more than 1 or 2 as they take up a lot of room. :smiley-char092:

turkey_slayer

I can't seem to get a good overall bird. Either long spurs or puny beard or vice versa. Looking for thick beard and long spurs. Did kill one with 1 9/16 that I wished I had mounted but thin beard. Got a double beard in the freezer and another with 1 1/4 spurs and 10.5" beard I'm debating on

bamagtrdude

I think for me, I'd mount one that was physically huge - 25 lbs or greater.  A long beard & long spurs would be nice, but ...  not necessary.  A buddy of mine is hunting a bird just like this; we're calling him the "Clear Cut Monster", and he's a hoss.  My buddy's checked into mounting him, and it's $500; I told him, "This bird is worth it!".
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Charley B

The one i choosed to mount is a close to perfect one. Meaning that every feathers are clean, perfect fan and good overall beard and spurs. Its my grand slam florida bird. So the coloration is great and it remind me a super good adventure in the swamp.

Gooserbat

Over the past 25 years I've killed some dandy birds, long spurs, long beards, multi beards, heavy, beautiful washtub sized fans and I'm yet to mount one.  I just display the beards and spurs.  I do however have one bird in mind I would mount.  Smoke Phase!
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

2eagles

I'm not into mounts so much.  I only have one deer and a couple racks.  And I did a European mount of my first buck taken with a bow.  A few turkey tails hang on the wall.  That said, to me a mountable bird doesn't have to be a perfect, trophy type bird.  He would have to have special meaning to me.  Maybe a special trip with a good friend.  I'd need a better reason than a "perfect specimen".

longbeard11

I have two birds mounted so far, and both are extremelly special to me! Of course you want to mount a really nice bird, but also mine have meaning and a story behind them.  As far as the pose, thats really up to you and could be decided on how he comes in on you during the hunt or something like that.

First one I have mounted I got gobbling on a limb.  What I always wanted and it turned out gorgeous!  This was my first turkey ever and is still one of my best ones I have ever killed.  Mount turned out beautiful and I love waking up and walking in my room and seeing him there every morning!

Other bird I have mounted is very special to me.  I killed him in VA 2 springs ago and he was my first out of state turkey, my first turkey that I killed with my dad with me, my first turkey on film, and my first double beard. I had to get him mounted, there was no questions asked on him!  I wanted him in half strut cause I really like that pose and shows off his beards and spurs well, plus that how he came in.  He turned out amazing!!

A couple things I would consider if I were you.  Dont just have anyone do a turkey for you, get someone that knows what they are doing and has done them before many times, they are very hard to do and you want it to look right!  You get what you pay for, you may pay a little more for someone that does a good job, but I guarantee you that you will love the finished product and be glad you did.  I also wouldnt get one done unless they were doing a freeze dried head! They are the only way to go and look amazing once finished! You get all the hair and detail of the head. 

So there are just a few things you need to think about when considering a mount. Im done mounting turkeys for awhile until I go out west and kill a big pretty Meriams, then I will be getting a dead mount of him!! Good luck brother!

RutnNStrutn

I wouldn't necessarily set a size limit. Obviously he should be a good bird, but I agree with Longbeard11, he should also have meaning or a great story to him. I've got 2 gobblers mounted so far. One was my first Merriams, he was beautiful and it was an awesome hunt that I'll always remember. The other was my best scoring bird so far, a big Michigan Eastern with 1-1/2" spurs.

jblackburn

Personally, I'm a spur fan, so if I get one with 1 1/2 or better spurs and a pretty fan, he's probably going to the taxi.  I killed one in 2009 that had 1 1/4 hooks and a 12.5 inch beard and was 25 pounds that I nearly took in.  Have regretted not doing that a couple times, he was an all around stud.

Unless, like Gooserbat said, a smoke phase or other cool colored one came in!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

alclark2

I got my first gobbler done. 10" beard but it was more about the memories of that hunt in Alabama. I might get a Merriams mounted. They are beautiful birds and I'm sure that trip would be an adventure. I like doing a fan mount and writing the info on the shell to remember the stories. Not that I have many yet but over the years it should make for interesting conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

HillCritter

If a bird is special to you then have him mounted. My buddy and I shot birds a few years back and it was really a special hunt. Probably my best turkey hunt ever. Both were big birds over 20 pounds and his was the #23 biggest bird shot in ny under the nwtf book. The birds came out great. This picture was when we picked them up from the taxidermist.

And my idea of heaven is chasing white tailed bucks.

Gobble!

I still kick myself, killed one with a 11" beard and 1 9/16ths spurs and didn't get him mounted. My next birds with 1 1/4 spurs and 10.5" beard will  be mounted.

strutstopper

Still waiting on a bird with inch and a half spurs to get mounted. I killed a good triple beard a couple years ago, but his spurs were only an inch and a eighth. I'm starting to think I should have had him mounted.

DirtNap647

guesswho

I always said I'd never have a bird mounted.  I've killed two 1 3/4" spurred birds and never give it a thought.  Then I killed one with 56" of beard and wasn't going to have it mounted.   My buddy that was with me talked me into having it done, and now I'm glad I did. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff