turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Late morning hunts?

Started by JellyHead Key, April 15, 2014, 07:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JellyHead Key

What's up guys. I work 24hr shifts at the fire department and I get off at 8am. I like to usually get out there about 530 when they come off the roost and locate them like that. But, with my work schedule I can't get out there until 830 some mornings. Is hunting late mornings not a good way to go? The Toms I've seen here in NC the last 3 days have been henned up

DirtNap647

Late morning hunts can be great hens leave gobblets = dead bird

cphill

I have killed most of my  birds between 9 and 1 a lonely Tom is way easier...here in middle Tennessee got the same problem with the hens

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

BigAL64

I would say I have killed 75% of my birds between 10 and 1. If they are henned up I may not even go out till 9.
Shoot em in the face

mossyhorn9

The first bird I killed this season was at 10:45. He gobbled early from the roost and didn't make another sound until 10:30.

WildSpur

Go for them.  I have done well late morning as well.  I have timed out on birds as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

ridgerunner

Killed many birds later in the mornings and many in the afternoons..I prefer later hunts

RutnNStrutn

Without a doubt! Mornings are fun because you get to hear a lot of gobbles. But the gobblers are often with hens. Late mornings aren't as exciting but are often more successful!

Sent from my 1950's rotary phone using Tapatalk

Tommy Strutsalot

Shoot man, that's a great setup actually.  I love hunting late morning/early afternoon.  When I first started turkey hunting I would leave at like 9 thinking it was game over.  Very very foolish, it's just gettin started.  Go get em.

Kywoodsman

To me it seems like mid morning hunts are some of the most successful hunts I have. In fact just this past Sunday I had a group of 4 toms that I tried to work for 2 hours right after daylight and couldn't get them away from the hens. I left them and came back at 1 after the hens had left them and within 20 minutes of getting there I was packing one of those very same toms out of the woods. Got to love toms without hens.

JellyHead Key

Awesome! This is great to hear. I'm a new Turkey hunter and I've learned SO much just in 3 days of hunting. I've noticed they don't gobble as much in the late morning like they do at first light. They move around quietly and it's much harder to locate them in late mornings. Do y'all suggest to set up with some decoys in the evening or go after them hoping they gobble?

Bigspurs68

Everyone is right about this! Just get out there and cover some dirt. Chances are, a fired up bird at noon is a dead bird. Gotta love lonely longbeards.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

ALfwlmth

Quote from: Tommy Strutsalot on April 15, 2014, 08:33:56 PM
Shoot man, that's a great setup actually.  I love hunting late morning/early afternoon.  When I first started turkey hunting I would leave at like 9 thinking it was game over.  Very very foolish, it's just gettin started.  Go get em.
It took me several years to figure this out. This is the Gospel truth.

ridgerunner

Quote from: JellyHead Key on April 15, 2014, 11:19:56 PM
Awesome! This is great to hear. I'm a new Turkey hunter and I've learned SO much just in 3 days of hunting. I've noticed they don't gobble as much in the late morning like they do at first light. They move around quietly and it's much harder to locate them in late mornings. Do y'all suggest to set up with some decoys in the evening or go after them hoping they gobble?

Do some scouting and watch what direction the birds go after flydown. Set up where you know there are birds in the area and do some soft purring and clucks about every 20 minutes..they may not gobble much but many times they just appear. I've killed a lot of birds late in the day. Many time I set a blind up on a field where birds frequent and call lightly every 20 min. trying to imitate a feeding hen....soft purrs, clucks..nothing aggressive, just soft calling like a content hen.

2eagles

Quote from: Tommy Strutsalot on April 15, 2014, 08:33:56 PM

I used to leave way too early, but I saw the light.  Yesterday the bird gobbling at me at sunrise hit the ground came my way, but was sidetracked and lead away with a hen. At 2 PM a tom came in absolutely silent.  (I missed him, but don't tell anyone.  sshhh)  Then just after 6 PM, I got a bird fired up. Came all the way to me.  We can hunt all day in Iowa.