turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help with 870 Super mag

Started by Newtgallapavo, April 15, 2014, 02:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newtgallapavo

I have an 870 sps that I am trying to make into a shooter but so far it has been nothing but frustration .Ive tried several different combos of shells and chokes with mixed results but all of them are pretty poor to what im used to seeing out of shooter I currently have a black diamond IC in it. Any input appreciated  :thanks:

Bigspurs68

665 IC with nitros, mag blends, hevi 7's and 6's. All those are turkey hammers out of mine.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

Newtgallapavo

have u done any work to urs? I haven't worked the barrel over yet but mag blends shot horrible thru my .665 IC When I shot 6s they were a little better but still really poor. polishing the barrel in the am and should have some hv7s here thurs to try. mighty frustrated so far

Bigspurs68

I got lucky and got a shooter. No work. It likes to be clean tho. You may have got a bad lot of those shells. Mine are several years old. I usually shoot nitros tho. Mega weights and hevis both from nitro are rediculous at 40. You'll get er shootin, I'm sure.

Newtgallapavo

I have heard a lot about it needing to be really clean each time with those 870s. I will definitely make er shoot or it wont take up space in my safe  ;D appreciate the encouragement, this may just be one of those that takes a little more patience and a lot more $$$$  >:( should no more by the end of the week

mossyoakpro

I have a new 870 SM....all I did to it was deep cleaned and put a Patternmater choke in it and it is hands down the best patterning gun I own.

Give it a good cleaning and see what that does for you.

Best of luck!

Sent from my I finally found a dumb one device.

Phillippians 4:13

captin_hook

Make sure your cap is not coming loose. Other than that. Give er a good deep cleaning.

nyhunter

The jelly head .660 and Hevi shot .662 choke both patterned better than the I.C choke for me. With that being said this years run of H-13 shell's 6's ,7's and mag blends have not patterned very good for me either. I have some from a couple years ago that put up way better patterns . H-13 changes there inner components every year it seem's.  I'd Try some Win. long beards and see how they pattern with the I.C choke .

Tucker3474

Mine loves the Rhino .660 tube. It will shoot Mag Blends and loves Winchester X-tended Range #6. I have deep cleaned only. The Mag Blends will put 230 ,give or take, in a 10" circle at 40.

taylorjones20

How old is the gun?

I would imagine a .670 Rhino with Nitro's would get you the performance you are looking for...
A .665 IC should put up good numbers as well though...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Huntaholic

660 rhino and nitro hevi shot is what works best in all the ones Ive owned and patterned for others.

Bigspurs68

This is normal for mine. It'll do better if it's real clean but this is good nuff.

Sent somehow

BigStrutter

I get great results in my SM with a Jellyhead .665 and 3.5" magblends.
"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep"

Gobbler2577

Had one a few years back and experienced the same trouble you're having.  Ended up trying a Kicks GT .655 and it was awesome.  Couldn't find a shell it didn't shoot well with that choke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newtgallapavo

spent a good deal of time today working over the barrel, deep cleaned it and polished it up nice :) I got my box of hv13 #7s today too but it was way to windy to try it out. Have 3 chokes and 5 different ammos to try tomorrow provided the weather cooperates. Will post results as soon as I get it shot. thanks to everyone for the advice and help