OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NEED HELP WITH A 12 GA. REMINGTON 11-87 EJECTION PROBLEM

Started by SKFOOTER, April 14, 2014, 03:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKFOOTER

I have an "Old School" Remington 11-87 from the 90's that will not eject shells without jamming when I manually unload it.  When I pull the bolt back the extractor will not throw the first shell out and the second shell will not feed into the barrel and a dent appears on the brass of the shell.  The same thing occurs when I try to manually eject the 2nd shell.  But when I go to eject the 3rd shell all is well.  Any ideas??? :OGturkeyhead:

R AJ

Yes. On the carrier there is a flange sticking up . If that flange is bent too far inward it will not let the shell in the magazine feed into the chamber. The flange is  not that strong and it doesn't take much to get it bent. If you take down the trigger housing group look at the flange from the top side and see if it remotely looks bent toward the inside. If so, a slight bend outward should solve your problem.

Note: I am not nor do I claim to be a gunsmith, qualified tech, etc.on guns or anything except forestry practices in Alabama and this is intended to be a possible problem solver for your gun. This is for information and action at your discretion. The same thing happened to my 20 gauge 11-87 a few years back and this was the answer to your problem.

SKFOOTER

Thanks but the carrier latch is bringing the 2nd and 3rd shell up out of the magazine but the shell ahead of it is not fully ejecting to allow it to enter the barrel until I remove the 1st shell manually.  I'm wondering if my ejector is faulty on the bolt assembly?  The gun cycles fine when I shoot it.

Bigspurs68

I'm not sure I understand your problem completely so forgive me if I have misunderstood. Try removing the shells from your magazine first, then open your bolt and remove the chambered round. My 11-87 will dent brass on the rim of the following brass if I just cycle the action. Simpler to just take them out thru the bottom and open it once. Maybe it'll help, maybe not.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

SKFOOTER

Read my initial post.  With no other shells in the magazine, the shell in the barrel ejects smoothly.  The jamming occurs only when I manually unload all shells but the final one. 

Hawkdriver75

My 1187 will dent 3" hulls when manually unloading as well-  No dents when firing.  Did a little investigating and the reason is that as the bolt is pulled back manually, the next round from the magazine beats it to the back of the receiver.  When the ejecting round hits the ejector button and rotates around the extractor, the rim of the lower shell dents the brass head (and can jam it).   The dent is placed at the 6 o'clock position on the ejecting shell, slightly forward of the rim.

This doesn't happen when actually firing because the empty hull is thrown clear before the inertia of the lower shell is overcome and the next shell hits the back of the receiver.

You should be able to manually cycle each round through the shotgun, but you could always pop the two magazine shells out manually under the lifter before removing the chambered round.
You may just need to eject the shells more forcefully.  I pull back very briskly on the first round, dump the 2nd round out before chambering it, then cycle the third round.

Bigspurs68

Momma said "Kill that turkey"

Tucker3474

I have a buddy that hunts with a 3.5" 1187 and he wears a leather glove when manually ejecting his shells. Looks brutal. Seems like there should be a fix.