OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Kentucky Bird Down

Started by Drthorn, April 13, 2014, 10:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drthorn

Super windy afternoon today. Decided to sit at one of my favorite trees on the farm over looking a long field. I was hoping that if they couldn't hear me calling, they would at least see my decoy if they came across the field. About 20 minutes in to the hunt, I got a hen fired up behind me. After talking back and forth to her a gobbler sounded off below me..being down wind of 20mph gusts, I really couldn't tell how far he was. So then hen behind me goes off in the direction of the gobbler. Shortly after a hen comes out of the woods and begins to cross the field. She begins to cut and yelp and another hen responds to my right down the fence line, followed by yet another gobbler sounding off..fast forward 30 minutes, I got two hens at my pretty boy decoy, a hen behind me yelping again, and a gobbler hammering coming up a four wheeler path behind me. With the hens 15 yds in front of me and a hen behind me, I was in somewhat of a spot, wondering how I was going to get turned on this tom..i eventually can hear him spit just out of sight to my 8 o;clock position when a limb snaps to my right..i glance over and this guy comes slipping in, eventually charging my decoy. I went ahead and took him before he could spur ol pretty boy...this had to be the gobbler that gobbled down the fence line from me with the hen...the good luck tree did it again this afternoon.

boomer

Fatbeard

East TN Beard Buster

gspn

Congrats.  We hunted in KY this morning too...very, very windy.  The birds all left to go in the woods and on our way out we jumped a big ol black snake.  I joked the the snake was the only thing that could hold onto the ground well enough to stay in the field.  It was crazy windy.

Great bird...especially given the conditions.

JALA Strut

DirtNap647

Rokhal07

TJK68

BigAL64

Great story! Way to stay patient!!
Shoot em in the face

WillH

JVA54

Wrangler95

:happy0064:Great going,that is a very nice Tom,congrats!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.