OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Citori set up  (Read 20519 times)

gwa

Citori set up
« on: April 11, 2014, 07:51:21 PM »
Finally got to try my Citori.....

40° little to no wind
All 10" Circles drawn
Short yard barrel
23 yds
Winchester XX 2.75" 6's
Sumtoy .695
211 hits

Longer range barrel
40 yds
Sumtoy .675

Winchester Supreme 5's 3.5"
116 hits

Winchester Longbeards 3" 6's
215 hits

Winchester Longbeards 3.5" 6's
286 hits

I am pleased with how the gun shoots, POI a little high for both barrels but both are near identical....
I really feel double barrel guns offer some great options for different yardages. I look forward to trying it out this spring. Just need a willing participant.
Thanks for the look!

Denny
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 08:19:56 PM by gwa »

Offline hunter22

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Citori set up
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 08:23:56 PM »
Looks good Denny. That should be a great turkey rig.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 08:34:48 PM by hunter22 »

Offline drenalinld

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 08:31:43 PM »
Looks good! I have considered a Citori for a turkey rig. Love the dual setup. Will you use an optic?

gwa

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 08:34:49 PM »
Thanks guys....
This spring I will be just using the bead, maybe an adjustable sight but that's about it.

Denny

Offline Oconeeguy

• Georgia gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
I have also thought that a double barrel would be perfect for either close or far shots.

Offline drenalinld

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 10:10:09 PM »
Denny,
I just used the tru glo gobble dot pro series on my M2. Like it so far. It hit 18" high and 12" left at 40 yards.

Offline DirtNap647

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 04:33:54 PM »
nice pattern

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 10:27:43 PM »
 :icon_thumright:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline cphill

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 10:39:08 PM »
Double barrel will be my next turkey gun...nice patterns

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 12:22:37 AM »
I've always said that a double barrel would make the "perfect" turkey gun,if I could just fine me a 20ga that I could afford.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

L.F. Cox

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 07:14:00 AM »
I've killed lots of turkeys with SxS's....

That being said the idea of different choking or what's referred to as upland choking makes no sense to me on a turkey gun.....reason being.

Let's say you have turkey at 40 yards....you shoot him with your so called long barrel and for what ever reason things don't work out.

Now you are left with only your short range barrel as back up and he's probably not going to get any closer.

I believe in equal choking in a two barreled two shot turkey gun...this mixed choking was dreamed up by some outdoor writer with very little field experience.

gwa

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 07:19:54 AM »
I've always said that a double barrel would make the "perfect" turkey gun,if I could just fine me a 20ga that I could afford.

A few months ago, I was talking with a buddy of mine at work and he had just traded his wife's Red Label 20 gauge with less than a box of shells through it like the day before we talked, I asked where at, he told me. I gave them a buzz ASAP...... too late! Gone....
I asked him what they gave him for it. $400 bucks!! What a miss that was! Kicker was he would have sold it cheaper to me. He has no more shotguns. Rats anyhow... LOL. I still keep my ears perked for deals like that though.

Denny

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 08:23:21 AM »
I've killed lots of turkeys with SxS's....

That being said the idea of different choking or what's referred to as upland choking makes no sense to me on a turkey gun.....reason being.

Let's say you have turkey at 40 yards....you shoot him with your so called long barrel and for what ever reason things don't work out.

Now you are left with only your short range barrel as back up and he's probably not going to get any closer.

I believe in equal choking in a two barreled two shot turkey gun...this mixed choking was dreamed up by some outdoor writer with very little field experience.

I disagree completely. No reason to use equal chokes in a double. Might as well shoot a pump or autoloader and save a bunch of coin. My Beretta 686 wears a FF III, so I don't plan on a miss. Not saying it can't happen, but follow up shots on misses have a really low probability of success anyway. With a lt mod. and a 25 cent handload of Pb 7.5s I have a wide, forgiving pattern for anything at 30 and in. The TSS in the other barrel will take care of anything else. Killed this bird yesterday with the open barrel at 17 steps. Had a trail cam mounted on the tree I was sitting against. Here is a pic of him seconds before he died.

Offline Loose Wire

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 12:40:14 PM »
I asked Winchester engineer Steve Meyer, who dusted off a study done by ballistician Tom Roster several years ago which involved necropsies of shot turkeys. The results were interesting. In terms of penetration, it takes a minimum of 2 foot pounds of energy for a pellet to penetrate a turkey’s skull or neck vertebrae. Surprisingly, many pellets fail to penetrate bone even if they do have more than enough energy. Even big size 4 shot which has far more than 2 foot pounds of energy at any reasonable turkey shooting range can glance off bone. At 35 yards, roughly half of size 6 shot failed to penetrate.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/shooting-tips/2010/05/bourjaily-choose-right-size-shot-kill-turkey

You may want to think about the use of #6 lead in the "long range" barrel.  Although a high number of holes in paper seems impressive, gobblers heads and necks are not made of paper.

Offline drenalinld

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 02:58:48 PM »
I asked Winchester engineer Steve Meyer, who dusted off a study done by ballistician Tom Roster several years ago which involved necropsies of shot turkeys. The results were interesting. In terms of penetration, it takes a minimum of 2 foot pounds of energy for a pellet to penetrate a turkey’s skull or neck vertebrae. Surprisingly, many pellets fail to penetrate bone even if they do have more than enough energy. Even big size 4 shot which has far more than 2 foot pounds of energy at any reasonable turkey shooting range can glance off bone. At 35 yards, roughly half of size 6 shot failed to penetrate.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/shooting-tips/2010/05/bourjaily-choose-right-size-shot-kill-turkey

You may want to think about the use of #6 lead in the "long range" barrel.  Although a high number of holes in paper seems impressive, gobblers heads and necks are not made of paper.

A larger pellet requires more energy than a smaller pellet to have the same penetration.