OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Red phase eastern?

Started by Burlyduck, April 07, 2014, 07:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer53

One fine gobbler for sure

Hitman 23

hunter-b

eman375

Wow, pretty awesome.  You never know what mother nature is gonna send your way...

YJSONLY

What causes this to happen besides its nature?

COssman14

Beautiful birds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

troutfisher13111

Very cool! I would have to get a full body mount.

bamagtrdude

Wow, pretty!!

Hey, an old timer turkey hunter friend said the original Eastern birds were a smaller species of birds than what we're hunting these days; said they were skinnier & scrappier birds (16-18 lbs *fighters*)...  Any truth to that story?
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

JVA54

jdub2041

Beautiful birds! I would love to into one of those

RutnNStrutn

I took this Osceola 3 years ago. Would you guys consider this a red phase? I noted that it was very red, but didn't think of that. I did notice that the bird in the first picture of this post has wing bars and his body looks pretty normally colored, as does my bird. But the bird in the 2nd picture of this post is red all over and the wing bars are absent. Your thoughts?

matchbook454

Burlyduck - yes that is a true red wild turkey.  MKMGobble - your bird looks like it might be mixed with a domestic turkey such as a bourbon.  A true wild strain will have pencil lines in the tail feathers such as Burly ducks.  I happened to shoot one almost identical to his 2 years ago in WI and did a ton of research on it at that time. Although he was just a 2 yr. old with an 8.5" beard and 1/2" spurs I mounted him.  Here he is -