turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Between a rock and a property line

Started by TnRidgeRunner, April 03, 2014, 09:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870FaceLift

I agree with the others that it all depends on the bird.  I've seen hot birds jump deadfalls, fences, and narrow creeks.  I've also seen them go up and down ridges.  When I started turkey hunting, I was always told that they never did that.  Apparently, they do.  In sum, you should still be able to get a bird to play if you're out at the right time.

Another thought... do you know how many hunters are on that adjacent property?  Your other best bet may be to let them pressure some of those birds off their property and on to yours.  Maybe you should stay out of that particular area for a week or two if you know they're hunting. 
Pass it on...

Gooserbat

On any given day, any given bird could do any given thing.  You have two options...Keep tying, or try some where else.  In all likelihood at some point in the season you will have a bird commit and imho it will likely be late season just because the hen presence will be less likely to be a factor.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

dmc

Our family land is very similar.  Its pretty much the only land ive ever hunted and it can be very frustrating.  We have 2 100+ acres tracts that do not quite touch.  One is surrounded by a very nice quail plantation.  I can usually predict where they will roost, and exactly what they will do every morning.  However they very rarely will leave the plantation for our land that was clear cut and left alone 30 years ago.  Maybe 3 or 4 times a year i will hear one roost on my place or gobble on my place early in the day.  Just have to be lucky and be there those days and they are kill able.  Also have found the best chance is usually after they have flown down and the hens have left them.  Sometimes they will cruise through my place and i can get on them later in the morning.  The good thing is they gobble like crazy so its always entertaining.

TnRidgeRunner

I do need to do something for next year to keep em on our land a little more...the thinning of the pines will help but I'm gonna try some chufa. I did manage to get one on our land today...30min hunt, 10 1/2 beard 1 1/4 spurs...still henned up at 11am though. Thought that was weird. I guess it's just a waiting game that I don't like to play, in a perfect world the birds would be on my side too.

turkey john

Key to taking long beards is putting the call in his ear. An ole timer told me that about 50 yrs ago. By that I mean that when you hear that first gobble you need to take off as fast as you can and setup within a couple hundred yds. You can get too close and spook the bird or not give him room to fly down. Yea there are times they will come a long way but you have a better chance when you are close. ....As far as baiting.... You have to out bait your neighbors but stay legal..

bmhern

X2 on the chufa patch, down here(NW Fla) you can't beat the chufas for them!

TnRidgeRunner

Did a bad thing...took about five steps onto their land....corn feeder in plain sight with kernals on the ground....frustrating :angry9: