OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Jake Decoy DSD vs. Avian help

Started by sonofabuck, April 03, 2014, 03:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonofabuck

I really like the looks and price of the Avian.  But, worried about the weight and having to inflate it.  Is the DSD that much lighter and worth nearly double?  I think they both look great and not too worried about that.  Just wondering what are your thought on which one is more practical.

longbeard11

I have the Avian Hen and my buddy has a DSD hen.  They are almost identical weight wise, not enough that you can tell a difference.  Plus, mine deflates, his doesnt.  But, I will almost always carry mine inflated in a bag if I can.  That being said, it doesnt take much time at all to inflate them, pretty quick actually, much faster than I anticipated. 

Imo, the Avian's are where its at. 

MKMGOBL

Ford or Chevy? Remington or Mossberg? It all boils down to what you are willing to pay or can afford.

I personally like the idea that if my decoy should get peppered with shot from either myself or my son which I'm sure it will at some point ::), it will still work just find because it doesn't need to be inflated.

However, I could be bias because I own several DSD ;) IMO....the original company that took decoys to the next level & made others chase them.

Good luck with which ever decoy you end up with :icon_thumright:
"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

2eagles

Our Scheels store has Dakota jakes for 79.99.  I'm thinking at 20 feet most couldn't tell the difference between a DSD and a Dakota jake.  I dont know why I haven't bought one yet!?!?

Ishi

DSD hands down for me! My jake and two hen killed five toms last year for my friends and myself all with archery gear it should have been eight toms in all LOL spend the extra dollars you wont regret it. I pack in my double bull blind three DSD and my bow its worth every step
The Spirit Lives On

memert116

I really like the Avian.  I have the jake and breeder hen.  As previously mentioned I carry mine inflated in the provided carry bags and don't notice the weight......but inflating them is a snap.  Came down to price for me.

sonofabuck

Quote from: Ishi on April 03, 2014, 08:59:43 PM
DSD hands down for me! My jake and two hen killed five toms last year for my friends and myself all with archery gear it should have been eight toms in all LOL spend the extra dollars you wont regret it. I pack in my double bull blind three DSD and my bow its worth every step
Great user name.

sonofabuck

Thanks for all the input so far. Anybody out there own or hunted with both?

TnRidgeRunner

In no way mean to offend anyone....if you use a decoy....(and I do at certain times) has anyone truly ever saw one that worked better than the other? Used the old ( I think Primos made it) foam for forever...holes through and through from being beat up (believe it or not mostly from jakes) and the foam worked.

MKMGOBL

why yes...I have :icon_thumright: I don't use decoys very much but always always carry a Feather-flex foam decoy in my vest for the last 20 plus years. In the last 4yrs since my son is hunting with me & we rarely use a blind, I've been taking the decoys more often in hopes to keep the birds attention off my son. I've seen gobblers, jakes & hens walk up to my feather-flex foam decoy but the second they hit or bump into it, take off running. Not saying they ALWAYS run off or speaking for others....just what I personally have seen. 

Now with the decoys on the market these days (the ones I use DSD), it's a total different story. It doesn't happen every time or on every hunt but on three occasions (2X while hunting...other time in my backyard...see below ;)), I've sat & watched a gobbler climb all over my decoy trying to violate it :TooFunny: Just two seasons ago I had a hen attack my DSD decoy over & over until I ran her off because she started to knock her over & was making a hell of racket on the hard body shell with her toe nails. 

"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

shadetree callers

Just an fyi on the Avian flock...they are made of a self healing rubber and hold air after being hit with stray shot. They have a demo model at the shows that has #5 shot rolling around inside and it still holds air. The dont actually require air to keep their shape but it puffs em out a little more.

mudhen

I hunt with both brands in many combinations.

I will say that the DSD jake, in the right situations, should almost be illegal  ;D

Last year in Nebraska, I had 5-6 jakes chasing a tom all over a field.  He was making a run for the creek, when he saw the DSD jake, he slammed on the brakes, threw into full strut, and then stood there until I killed him.  I have several stories like this.

I will be hunting with the Avian jake about 20 more hunts this year, so I should get an idea before too long.  It drew in two silent toms last weekend.  Never heard them.  Only saw them almost magically appear right at the Avian jake.

Much depends on style.  I sit & wait, so a realistic decoy mean a lot to me.  Running & gunning, not so much, no decoy, or a Screery or foamy...

I travel with the Avian jake & DSD hen, use all DSD's for local hunts....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

sonofabuck

Thanks guys!  Great info and help.

jims

I think a lot depends on your style of hunting.  If you don't travel far to where you set up the DSD may be worth the investment.  I can fit several deflated Avians in a duffle with shoulder straps but that would be tough to do w/DSD's...they are a lot more bulky.  It takes me 3 deep breaths of air and my avians are pretty much aired up.  If I'm packing very far or want to run and gun it's easier with the Avians.

ccleroy

Quote from: 2eagles on April 03, 2014, 06:17:48 PM
Our Scheels store has Dakota jakes for 79.99.  I'm thinking at 20 feet most couldn't tell the difference between a DSD and a Dakota jake.  I dont know why I haven't bought one yet!?!?

I can!!! And Dakota's look like they used the exact mold as Dave Smith.....I think it's pretty lame IMO