Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Suggested Tactic for Bird that likes to fly up in a tree first

Started by bamagtrdude, March 28, 2014, 02:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagtrdude

Alright, so...  Question for everybody, regarding a tactic on killing a deg'gum hornery old gobbler that seems to insist on flying up into a tree, as he's coming into your setup...

A friend of mine is hunting a very vocal bird that seems to mostly like roosting on a pasture, close to a head of woods...  On one morning I went with him, we called the bird to within 100 yds, and as he approached, he flew into our setup, up into a tree above us, about 20 yards away.  He's obviously read the rules book & knows we can't shoot him out of the tree!!!  jk...

Again this morning, my friend got on this bird and the sorry rascal did it *again*  -- as he approached, he flew up into a tree above my bud, waited a little while, and then flew off.

Any tips/ideas/suggestions on bagging this bird?  I've got some thoughts, but curious if anyone else has hunted gobblers that did this to them, and you eventually bagged the sly joker.

Thx,
BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

g8rvet

You can't kill them from the roost in Florida. As long as it is not his roost tree, he is legal.  Can't shoot from any tree in Bama? Probably a better rule. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Skeeterbait

If his feet have been on the ground since daylight he is a dead bird.  Don't get to fly in a tree during the day and call time out.

bamagtrdude

Hmmm, well, Skeeterbait makes a *really* good point, and I know he's an Alabama turkey hunter, so...  Perhaps I'm not reading the rule book correctly!!!  hehehe...
---

jblackburn

My buddy and I doubled on a couple birds that did that in 2005. They in a field and flew to our setup instead of walking. I busted mine as soon as his feet hit the limb, my buddy followed suit and dropped his as well.  Not sure of the exact wording in the regs, but roost shooting is illegal, but if they are in a tree that they did not roost in it is fair game. 
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

bamagtrdude

Hmm, here's the Alabama rule book: http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/13ALAB-FINAL_LR.pdf

I did a search for the word "roost" & couldn't find a hit; so I don't even see where there's a specific statement in there about blasting 'em from the roost.  Crazy!
---

Skeeterbait

Nope, nothing in the Alabama law prohibits shooting a roosted bird during daylight hours.  Not something I think people should do, but not illegal.  Now resting on a limb in the day after having been on the ground is not roosted anyway.  Nock him off that limb if he does that again.  Get that smart-A$$ bird out of the breeding pool.  ;D

bamagtrdude

---

guesswho

If he comes to the call and flies up for a better vantage point, I hate it for him.  If you feel there is a legal issue, which I don't think there is, just stand up and walk towards him.  Once he flushes pop a cap. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

bamagtrdude

10-4 Guesswho; d*mn, we could have killed him over a week ago - or at least had an attempt to kill him.

I've read the regs TWICE now, esp the section on what's illegal; nothing in there about not blasting him off the limb.  So, it's game ON now; I've told my buddy, LOWER THE BOOM!!!  He had him w/in 40 yards this morning!!!   :character0029:
---

turkey_slayer

I want shoot one off the roost legal or not but if he pitches down then comes in and pitches up he's dead. I let the first one that did that to me go cause I thought it was pretty dang smart lol

bamagtrdude

Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 28, 2014, 05:12:47 PM
I want shoot one off the roost legal or not but if he pitches down then comes in and pitches up he's dead. I let the first one that did that to me go cause I thought it was pretty dang smart lol

Oh hey, it's smart as all get-out; let me tell you, I lost my religion on the way out that first morning he pulled that stunt!!!  I heard him fly in, right behind me; I had my buddy over dekes on a pasture...  I nearly broke my neck, looking all around (as slow as I could) behind me for him...  Then, a few mins later, he pitches off the limb & flies off...  I've got video, and I uttered some ...  *ahem* THANGS!

I could have *easily* killed him, had I know he flew up in the tree above me!  But, it's my bud's bird, so...  Better for him to get his smart butt!
---

L.F. Cox

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

bamagtrdude

---