turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How to hunt the rain

Started by JonR26, March 28, 2014, 12:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonR26

Saturday is the first day I can hunt here and the chances of rain are 100%, I know you can hunt turkey's in the rain and that a lot of people have good results with it but what are some good tips and tactics for hunting the rainy conditions?

land cruiser

Ctburdchasr

exactly, what he said go to a field and hunker down cause sitting in the rain sucks even in gore-tex

Illini Tom

the only time i hunt out of a blind is when it is raining. i'll strap a popup to the wheeler and take it along to the woods if the forecast calls for rain
i set up on a field, put out a couple dekes and wait it out
called in and shot a nice tom that way during a t-storm a couple years ago

wvlimbhanger

I hate to get my vest soaked and calls wet for them to have to dry out.  My fix is grab a mouth call or two and maybe a friction that you can slip in a Ziploc bag.  Go to the nearest greenfield that birds frequent, pop up a blind, set out a few decoys, call occasionally and be glad you are not getting soaked!!

g8rvet

Field or well known open strut zone.  Gonna be raining here in the AM and I am heading to a field.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Illini Tom

shoulda added ...
i have what i call my "wet bag" - a small sling over the shoulder tote with plastic pot glass and crystal calls, a couple strikers and an older box call thats been wet before but still sounds good. i put everything inside a zip bag inside the cloth bag
also grab my mouth call pouch and a tube call
i leave my vest and custom calls in the truck when it looks like rain  ;)

silvestris

I can't give any advice as I have no desire to possess a wet gobbler.  Now two hours after a rain after he has had an opportunity to dry out and preen is a different matter.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

redleg06

Rain's probably my favorite time to hunt them.  They generally get out in the open on either fields, roads etc. so it makes them more visible. 

I dont change how I hunt all that much - I'm usually moving along fairly slowly trying to see or hear one then go from there.  The benefit of this way of hunting in or after a rain is that I can move more quietly in the rain and it generally narrows down the areas for me to key in on (open areas vs. woods).

Bigspurs68

Just take a couple calls, put the rest of your necessities in a ziploc bag and get out there. Killed ...many... longbeards in the rain. Stop and call more often than you normally would and keep your eyes peeled. You'll see more birds than you would on a pretty day. If you are lucky and the rain stops while you are out there,  :happy0064: even better.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

ridgerunner

I agree with those who say hit a field, set up a blind and wait em out.

DirtNap647

COssman14

What everyone else said, Hit the fields.
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

jblackburn

I don't usually like blinds, but I have one just of this reason.  I dislike being wet more than I hate hunting from a blind.  Set up in a field and wait.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.